Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old April 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM

KayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant future
I think I'm antisocial

Last night was the night of the annual school fundraiser. Yee-haw.

There were probably 400 people there. I knew probably 80% of them. There was good food, a good band, a good cause, and a good time to be had. Everyone was having a blast. Everyone was very nice to me and seemed genuinely glad I was there.

I can't tell you how LITTLE I wanted to be there. DH was on call, so unable to go, but that shouldn't make a difference... There were still a ton of nice people for me to talk with. I sucked it up and went and faked a good attitude. And I did talk with a lot of people, but every single one of those conversations was like pins in my eyes. Why is that?

I don't have any kind of phobia that made it miserable. I mean, I *do* hate crowds, but the space was ample for that many people. It wasn't "crowded" and there were assigned tables to sit at. (I usually never sit down at these things, but last night I did for a while since someone who I want to be better friends with asked me if I'd sit at her table).

Last night I arrived an hour and twenty minutes after it started and left an hour and a half before it ended. I was there for just over two and a half hours (and 45 minutes of that was spent watching the entertainment).

I sat there watching people laughing and talking and dancing and eating and I felt total confusion about what I'm missing. What about that was "fun"?

Am I alone in this?
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: I think I'm antisocial

Nope, your not alone. You probably there 2 hours longer than I would have been.

I am one of those people that can get along with anyone, but have few really close friends. I think I am totally antisocial. Its kind of like I don't fit in anywhere (if that makes sense).

But no, I probably would have bailed at first chance.

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

You THINK you're antisocial, I KNOW I am!

It started for me when I had kids, I got out of the habit of intergrating with adults that didn't have kids. Now it's at the point there seems to be kids and mums or even just KIDS every which way I turn, so now I am getting quite happy when I find myself in my own company.

I know at some point I will need to return to work too, I am not looking forward to that, if there was one thing I was glad to be free of in the workplace was the office politics and b!tching that goes on. I want to be more involved in computers now and therefore I am getting myself on course whilst I can. From when I last worked with a bunch of mostly male computer geeks, all you needed to do was keep your head down and grunt every so often and you fitted right in. That seems so appealing to me nowadays. I like working autominously and I like my anominity right now.

Grubby, I have NEVER fitted in anywhere. I suppose now I fit in with many of the mums at the kids school. At least there our kids are the one sure thing we have in common with each other.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM

KayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Nope, your not alone. You probably there 2 hours longer than I would have been.

I am one of those people that can get along with anyone, but have few really close friends. I think I am totally antisocial. Its kind of like I don't fit in anywhere (if that makes sense).

But no, I probably would have bailed at first chance.
LOL... thanks grubby. You make me feel better. I was definitely there 2 hours longer than I wanted to be. I left during a convenient break in the entertainment, pleaing that I had a long drive home and didn't want to do it too late...

I absolutely *had* to go out of obligation. Two ladies I really like were in charge of it and I wanted to support them. Plus it's a fundraiser for the school and yada yada. Every year I beg the Development Director (the employee at the school who helps with the party) to let me write a check and skip the party. Anyone to whom I say "I don't think I'm going to go this year" comes back with "Oh, but you HAAAAAAVVVVEEE to!!" Sigh. It's not like I'm popular. LOL. They are just fond of my checkbook.

I actually do have a few very close friends (and I feel very lucky to have them). One of them is antisocial like me and one lives far away... she's the type who could have a riveting conversation with a fencepost, so she puts up with me. Another is the Development Director who says that I haaaaavvvve to go to the party... LOL.
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
You THINK you're antisocial, I KNOW I am!

Grubby, I have NEVER fitted in anywhere. I suppose now I fit in with many of the mums at the kids school. At least there our kids are the one sure thing we have in common with each other.

While I'm not happy to hear that you're antisocial, it is very heartening to have kindred souls.

I don't feel like I fit in anywhere either, with the exception of my family and my few very close friends. And I'm okay with that.
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Me too! Looks like a nice group of people here who don't fit in.
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM

rhiakaran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
While I'm not happy to hear that you're antisocial, it is very heartening to have kindred souls.

I don't feel like I fit in anywhere either, with the exception of my family and my few very close friends. And I'm okay with that.
Wow, we're a group of antisocial people hanging out - ironic, no?

I am not very social - I will go, hang out, and all, but give me my druthers, and I'd rather not. Which is hilarious, because dh and I are so active in things because of the kids - scouts, the Church, community work, etc. But we're usually the ones who set it, up, run it - so we're too busy to chit-chat.
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road

im a total people phobe, the internet was a blessing for me, it allows adult interaction where i normally would get next to none aside from DH.

so you arent alone, i hate being around people, but i need to be around them peridoically, which sucks, but there it is. We can all be antisocial together LOL.
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM

Paul is on a distinguished road

I don't think you're alone with this "feeling". From my experience I can tell that it depends on the situation. I like being around other people but sometimes I prefer to be alone, can't tell why.

It's nothing to do with the people but it kinda depends if I know that the friendship has been tested and passed it. A really good friend of mine cooked with her boyfriend for a couple of friends and I was invited to join them at a later point in time (I was already invited 5 months ago). When I came to the house (I know everybody and we hang out quite often) everybody was laughing, drinking and having a good time but maybe after an hour I had the feeling that I'm misplaced.

Maybe because I had a cold, maybe because I was tired, I don't know. I think it's normal to sometimes leave earlier if you think you have to.
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:05 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

I'm antisocial, too! I don't do school functions. I send my DH.