Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old April 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM

m2urray is on a distinguished road
Bouncy Legs

When I am sitting down, I constantly \"bounce\" my legs, up and down vigorously, to the annoyance of my workmate next door to me as her workstation shakes madley! I also do this at home watching TV or just relaxing and I\'ve done it ever since I can remember. I don\'t believe it\'s \"resless leg syndrome\" as I always sleep like a baby although I do tend to toss and turn a bit as early morning approaches.
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM

KayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud of
Re: Bouncy Legs

My husband does this. He doesn't think he has restless leg syndrome either. He once had a doctor he was working with prescribe him some medicine to stop it, but he laughed and threw the prescription away. He doesn't realize how distracting it is for others. I'm kind of used to it, but when his leg is really going it can be very annoying. I can imagine how your co-worker feels! I can live with my DH, but I'm not sure I could work with him. LOL.

Do you work in an environment where you can stand up while you work? My DH now paces while he works (luckily he can do this without bothering anyone). It relieves a lot of his leg jitters. Also, he does it a lot less as he's getting older.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough

I have a friend who does this...its kinda unnerving!

Is it a nervous reaction? I mean something that once started with a nervous
situations? and then catches on.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM

KayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud of

Not in my DH's case. He's always been like that too (since he was a kid). It's not "nervous", and he's not even hyper. His legs just have a mind of their own and they move constantly.

I always tell him that I know when he has fallen asleep because that's when the bed stops shaking. Usually it's just a gentle rocking, that I (madly in love with the man) have convinced myself is relaxing but sometimes I feel like I have put quarters in a slot somewhere, I'm being shaken so much. DH will wake up for just a few seconds during the night (moving through sleep phases, or a cat jumped on him, or something like that) and his legs immediately start up again and stop within a few seconds. So it's not nerves.

It is getting better as he gets older. He can sit watching TV with a (very mellow) cat on his lap now. That's an accomplishment.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Bouncy Legs

do ya know KayKay I love your posts!
Its so obvious you are mad about DH and the kids and your posts
are so genuine and interesting!!
The shaky legs are hilarious! Hope I dont get afflicted with it.
We did have the itch this week!!! LOL!
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
do ya know KayKay I love your posts!
Its so obvious you are mad about DH and the kids
LOL, thanks Lizzie, but you probably ought to read that thread about where I was going to hide DH's body....
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Lucybear is on a distinguished road

I have to sheepishly admit I am the "bouncy" one. I am a lot like Kaykay's hubby. I have done it for years and it hasn't let up yet.

I feel really bad when my best friend (who does the same thing) and I are sitting on the couch and someone else (who does not do it) is sitting there with us. I am sure it feels like an earthquake or something.
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has much to be proud ofsnafu has much to be proud ofsnafu has much to be proud of

my ex used to bounce - he had ADHD & certain food additives (ie carmel coloring) and lack of physical exercise increased his leg bouncing there were times I couldn't sleep as he was bouncing his legs
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM

thesmartfisherman.com is on a distinguished road

My legs have been moving the whole time I read this thread. I have been shaking my legs since I can remember. Doesn't bother me one bit.
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Thought about this thread yesterday...

We drove to Houston to see a museum exhibit. Houston is NOT a fun city to drive in if you're used to small town traffic. I drove down there so DH could get some sleep and be rested to drive back (late night).

As we neared Houston and traffic started getting heavier (and faster, because in Houston the more cars there are, the faster you have to drive ) DH woke up and so did his legs. I was nervous enough as it was, and DH's legs started bouncing. Actually it was a side-to-side motion THAT WAS SO DISTRACTING... a high speed "sh sh sh sh sh sh sh" noise as his shorts rubbed the car seat. I told him he had to knock it off or I was going to drive the passenger side of the car into a concrete barrier.

Tags
bounce, legs, restless, syndrome