Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old September 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: My son, my youngest, my baby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiann View Post
Sudden withdrawal by heavily dependent users who are in poor health is occasionally fatal, although heroin withdrawal is considered less dangerous than alcohol.

Mostly, it is the physical pain that is so bad.

The only thing that is so scary as a parent, is the only way I knew there was somthing going on was the fact that my son went though so much money each month with nothing to show for it. Not how he acted or how he looked. Please know that I am fairly street smart and I have dealt with Alcohol, and pot abuse between both my boys. However, this was something I could not 'see'. You just have to be aware of your child no matter what the age. Don't be afraid to 'snoop' and ask questions.

V.
I used to work in a psychiatric unit of a large hospital and quite often we had patient's that came in to detox. I know with alcohol, the risk of having DTs (delirium tremors) is watched constantly. DTs have been known to be fatal and cause brain damage. Very often, it is treated with Atavan, Valium and other meds. Rapid withdrawal can be very dangerous and should always be taken in to consideration. Since your son was not yet under a physicians care, they probably wanted to "feed" his addiction until he could be seen, so not to risk any withdrawal side-effects.

Your a strong woman and good mom, and we are always here to listen.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiann View Post
Funny you should say that, I have a laptop and it is on my lap while I sit in the living room on the couch. My son has been on the loveseat. We have been together 24/7 now since last Friday night.

Today he started his Suboxone treatment and already he is doing better. I will keep you all posted.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, I keep saying that I can only hope that during all this we grow closer.

Virginia
Glue yourself to his side, Virginia. The two of you need to go for it the first time around. Do everything you can. Give it everything you have. I'm pulling for the both of you. And if you need to do it again, do it. After that sweetie, you need to get tough.
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:57 AM

august is on a distinguished road

(((((Virginia)))))

I will keep your family in our prayers.

You have a long tough road ahead of you. Keep seeking support, love your son and help him through this and teach him to take care of himself.

As hard as it is, always let him know you are there for him to if anything just to be there...he needs you.
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I used to work in a psychiatric unit of a large hospital and quite often we had patient's that came in to detox. I know with alcohol, the risk of having DTs (delirium tremors) is watched constantly. DTs have been known to be fatal and cause brain damage. Very often, it is treated with Atavan, Valium and other meds. Rapid withdrawal can be very dangerous and should always be taken in to consideration. Since your son was not yet under a physicians care, they probably wanted to "feed" his addiction until he could be seen, so not to risk any withdrawal side-effects.

Your a strong woman and good mom, and we are always here to listen.
thats exactly what they did for my dad now that i think about it, he was hooked on a ton of stuff, and he went into a VA hospital to get off the drugs when i was young, and they had him on different medications as he slowly detoxed. I remember visiting him and seeing him go through so many different moods and attitudes, it was a painful few years. Im really thankful that the there was a VA hospital (he was a vietnam vet) in place, because he didnt have any other options.

our thoughts are with you virginian, it was hard enough when i was a kid to see my dad go through it, but its got to be 100x harder with your child and having to be right there in the middle of it.

*hugs* your a strong person.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Virginiann is on a distinguished road

You guys are wonderful! I now feel that this has become my own little blog and journal. It is funny because I do have my own little piece of the web if you would like to take a look at it you can! http://gingerann.spaces.live.com I have a blog going on there. But I just didn't want to add this little piece of my life. It's too hard. My whole family visits that site and I have no intentions on telling them this bit of news.

My update for today 09/12/2007

My son and I had a wonderful afternoon, we went to Red Robin and had lunch and then came home. He was so full of energy it actually scared me, so I looked up side effects of that Suboxone and nowhere does it say, jittery, nervous, hyper, etc... So I questioned him and he said "I just feel great". So I left it at that.

I asked him to walk out and get the mail and he took probably two minutes longer than I 'thought' he should, and got all nervous. "What is he doing, why is it taking him so long"?

He was also granted permission to run to the store that is two minutes away and Taco Bell which is right next to the store. Again, he took too long. Instead of 15minutes he took 20.

Now come on, I know I am being very nervous about all this, but I need to relax. FA teaches, let go and let God. We can't change anyone but ourselves. We cannot control what others do, only what I do.

My son is doing very well, he is feeling better and I am being cautiously optimistic.

He has a doctor’s appointment in a hour so I've got to get up an get with it. Thanks for listening.

V.
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM

good luck virginian!

be safe
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Grace is on a distinguished road

Virginiann

I have come late to your thread, but having just read through it my heart goes out to you, it must be a mother's worst nightmare. My thoughts are with you - hang in there and stay strong.

Grace x
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road

Been off for a few days..I am sorry to hear of your son's addiction, but I think you confronted the evil and he will be healed.

RE: SSI, that is for people that don't have money and are disabled, not addicted. The Social security stopped giving out money for alcoholism and drug addiction in the mid 90's, I think..so thats not an option even when he gets out of rehab.
Best to you and yours.
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM

how was the docs appointment V? everything progressing positively?
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixxie View Post
Been off for a few days..I am sorry to hear of your son's addiction, but I think you confronted the evil and he will be healed.

RE: SSI, that is for people that don't have money and are disabled, not addicted. The Social security stopped giving out money for alcoholism and drug addiction in the mid 90's, I think..so thats not an option even when he gets out of rehab.
Best to you and yours.
Well, perhaps he was diagnosed with a mental illness. I don't know the particulars. My point is he has no money, disabled and is on SSI right now, and he is a drug addict with ongoing treatment. I think you would need to know all the facts before excluding someone from SSI.