Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old November 28th, 2014, 06:41 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
creatingnew traditions

I've been thinking about making some changes about Thanksgiving. I mentioned the idea to my DM and as you can guess it went over like a lead balloon. I'm still going to mention it to DH .... as an idea to mull over ....

I enjoy getting together with everyone, but as the kids get older & have their own families (and their spouses have families) I've bee thinking about changing some things.

What I'd like to do is celebrate Thanksgiving early (have a Canadian Thanksgiving ). This is because so many people have parents who are divorced so instead of trying to split holidays between 2 families (his & hers) many people have to try to co-ordinate 4 (his 2 & her 2) families
Old November 28th, 2014, 07:06 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: creatingnew traditions

I think it's a great idea! But don't talk it over with anyone. Just do it.
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:10 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

well - as it encompasses multiple FOOs .... I don't want to try it if others aren't willing

maybe I should just do it as a huge extended family get together
Old November 29th, 2014, 06:30 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

When you make an announcement that you're changing tradition, no one likes it. That isn't a big deal if you want their approval, but if you do, then you must make the changes in a more quiet way.

Just plan on hosting and invite who you want to the earlier Thanksgiving. See how it goes. People who think they won't like it might actually love it!
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:57 AM
future crazy cat lady

sounds good - it also might be easier for those who work places that are open Thanksgiving to get time off for an earlier date
Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:56 PM

memyselfandi will become famous soon enough

Sometimes change is good.

In my families way..not so much.

It was 2005..

Mom passed away in October and I thought, since Dad missed her so much, we could have a family Christmas with Dad at Mom and Dad's place. Maybe put up a tree with all of Mom's Precious Moment Ornaments, make Mom's traditional favorites for dinner, putting it together as a family in Mom's kitchen, open gifts like we used to underneath the family tree, etc.

My sister wanted nothing of it and told me that they were going to start their new family traditions, open gifts on their own Christmas morning, and would have Dad and I over for Christmas dinner..mmm..about 3 pm or so.

Niice. As Dad would sit and do nothing but miss Mom all day until 3.

As I kept Dad busy most of that morning, doing my best to make the breakfast Mom always made, etc., Dad enjoyed it as we talked about old times and memories of Mom.

Went over to my sister's around 3, had a nice meal, exchanged a few gifts I'd bought from Dad to the family, for a few short hours.

Not that it wasn't nice, but did the new traditions really have to start a few short months after Mom passed away??

It made me sad as I sat with Dad in the big empty house that used to be so full of family. Again, I tried to fill it up with some of Mom's favorite movies, her fave being Cheech and Chong's, "Up In Smoke". No idea why she loved that movie so much...she just did and whenver she watched it, would laugh til her sides hurt. As I laughed at all the things in the movie Mom used to laugh at, Dad said to me, "You laugh like your Mother..and thank you for making me laugh a little too...she sure was a character.."