Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old July 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Tulowitzki2 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Why did my dad take away my SSA check from me and put into his other savings account?

I had well over 13,000 in my savings account back in 2013. And now Have 58.00 in it And i made a report on my dad to a county sheriff about it. If my dad doesn't turn it over to me I threaten him to go to civil court and he's not supposed to have it. My dad was supposed to to turn it over to my payee representative that I have now. My dad is not my payee anymore. The sheriff said that this is bad that my dad did to me. And my dad put a hold on her credit card without her permission behind her back. My dad hurt her credit line because of the payee program she is not supposed to be on.
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:43 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why did my dad take away my SSA check from me and put into his other savings acco

I am completely confused. Why are you getting a SSA check?

For reference to others reading this thread who may not have seen the first one, this is Tulowitzki2's first thread which explains some of what he is talking about: http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com...ead.php?t=6814
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why did my dad take away my SSA check from me and put into his other savings acco

This is so confusing i'm sorry. If you were in NZ, it would sound like you had been declared bankrupt, and needed a financial supervisor. (Your payee representative).

Otherwise, how could this possibly be anything but straight out theft? - However, if your girlfriend is getting money that she is not supposed to have, that also sounds like theft to me. It kind of sounds like your dad is doing his best to protect your interests, so just none of this adds up. For example, if your Dad thinks your girlfriend is stealing, and stopped it, then it is not him that hurt her credit rating, but her own dishonesty.

I'm so sorry, there are people from all over the world read these forums, i don't even know what SSA stands for. (Standard services award?)

If you feel like clarifying, we can probably give you a much sounder opinion or advice.
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:21 PM

Angry Re: Why did my dad take away my SSA check from me and put into his other savings acco

ssdi social security check. I have worked into this system since I was 17. My dad is withholding my money in a custodial account. He has my name for as custodial savings and his name as a beneficiary. My SSA check has my name on it. He takes out my money and then he takes it after it gets deposited.
Old July 5th, 2014, 12:35 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

If you are an otherwise financially responsible adult, (which means you get your money honestly, pay your bills on time, don't borrow money you can't pay back, and don't owe anyone any money), would it be possible - as a first step - to change your bank account? That means your money goes into your bank account, and only you have signing rights. If you are legally able to, you really should think about removing yourself from your father's financial influence. After that, your next step may be to go about getting your money back.
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:09 AM

Exclamation Re: Why did my dad take away my SSA check from me and put into his other savings acco

How do I get my money back when he has to lift custodial account by him with a phone call. Not only that this account is in Colorado USA. It's not east to just switch this over. I went to social security and the guy told me that it's a civil matter. And I went there and the sheriff put a report in and this is really bad that your dad is doing this to you. Especially living on your own with your fiancee. What he is doing is fraud related. The sheriff called my dad and got threatened by the sheriff cause what my dad is doing it is criminal activity. My dad is manipulating me for about the last 3-5 years and now I only have 58.00 now.
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:33 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

First, how old are you? Do you still meet the qualifications of a child/ custodial account? Or are you legally now an independent adult?

If you are legally an adult, contact your local congressman to help you change the payee and deposit the money in your own account.

Second, while the officer says that your father is doing something "not right," it might not be illegal, depending on the purpose of those payments. You may also want to ask your congressman to help you with that.
Old July 5th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Hi again, do you want to sort out the legalities surrounding this more, or do you want to sort out your relationship with your dad?
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:53 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Was your dads name on the account too? If it wasn't then it's theft. If it was a joint account, then it's not theft. If the later is the case, then you may need a lawyer. If you required a caretaker, then without more information... I'm stuck.