Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old October 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road
Interesting..I think I like it here now

I moved from WA state to AZ, and now I am really liking the weather. I still miss my family and friends, but to be honest? I didn't see my kids(all grown now)all that much. I do miss the fact that they could drop by if they wanted to, but now one lives in the city, and the other would live at least 25 minutes away and in traffic in the Seattle area that could easily be an hour depending on the time of day. They didn't drop by all the often, and I think sometimes I grieve for what could've of been, might've been.

But its not....and now? I am getting involved in my support group, meeting people that have my condition, getting involved in a fundraiser. And loving the weather without gray skies and all that dang rain.
Plus, I am blessed. I can fly to SEA anytime I want. I fly for free on my airline, and have friends that have no problem putting me in a guest room for a couple of nights. I have my car still up there, but maybe I dunno, maybe sell it?
Its a good WA car and it serves me well in the summer time when the weather is so dang hot here in AZ.

Is it wrong to not mind being so far away from my kids and my new grand-daughter?

Elaine? I lost your email addy, so I cannot send the pic of my new baby GD.

thoughts? I guess I need some opinions and reassurances.

THANKS!
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM

elaine will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting..I think I like it here now

You know what, Trixxie? Although our situations are not entirely the same, I think I understand. I also left all of my extended family last year when we moved to AZ. That has been the hardest part.... thinking about all of the "what if's...." or "what could have beens". But, you are right. Our family get-togethers were few and far between. My husband and I made efforts on many occassions, but the bottom line is our extended family just isn't that close. The truth is, we have probably spent as much quality time with extended family since moving here as we did before. And, we probably talk even more than we did before.

I love it here. I love the weather. I was so tired of the snow and the cold. I see it on TV now and I am so grateful to be here where it's 92 degrees today and I can sit out on my patio in the shade, watch the kids play, and drink an iced tea or lemonade. I have also found it so much easier to make friends here. I am also involved in a support group of my own and I volunteer at my kids school, so I find myself being much more social and outgoing than I did before.

As you know, I also used to work for an airline and I think it is so great you still have your flight benefits and you can fly to WA to see the kids whenever you want to. That is such a great perk that few people get to experience and most would love to have. Whenever a family event, birthday, or home sickness strike, you can hop on the next plane out of town and fly to see your family-- or fly to wherever you want to!

So, no, it's not wrong for you to not mind being away. I sent you a PM with my info.

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

Trixie, I agree that it is not wrong to like being away from your family.

You have a life. You're making new friends and contacts. You should enjoy it.

Your children are adults, married, making their own way in life. Why shouldn't you do the same? Although I love being a mom and having a young family, I look forward to someday doing the same. I've already spoken to DH about selling the house and getting a loft downtown, or going south... I expect to miss people but I don't plan on feeling guilty.
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Trixxie, I'm glad you are feeling happy in your new home. Big change for you. You should not feel guilty at all. Remember, sometimes it's the kids who move away for better jobs, affordable housing, etc. We all have to do what we think is best. Just think of how wonderful the family get-togethers will be.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road

ive always wanted to live in AZ, i love dry weatther, yet i live in a swamp LOL

but its not wrong to enjoy your life, and new home, its what everyone does when they can.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM

1DH+4Kids=Happyus will become famous soon enough

I am happy to hear you are enjoying your new locale....

It is hard to move - but also very exciting...

I am glad you have found a bounty of opportunities in your new community.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!