Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old July 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dad Problems

sjs ((hugs))
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:09 AM

Kirsi1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Dad Problems

I think your parents should be proud of and delighted by you - you sound like a very good daughter to me and have earned a place at a good university. You are so close to setting out on your own life and escaping what seems to be a very difficult situation at home - your mother does not sound mentally stable to me. It is sad, but that is her sad fate and your father's - it is not yours. You have the right to go out and seek your own life and identity. It doesn't mean you won't still be a good daughter to them and help them. You have almost made it - keep holding on until you're on your own and you will be glad in the long run that you did. Another thing, which you seem to fully realize in your post, is that life is hard when you're a parent. Earning money to support a family and having the pressure of raising children is difficult work that wears people down, and this can be especially true if the family dynamics are not good. The family as a whole has to be able to give back in terms of love and energy as much or more than it drains, or it sometimes just doesn't work out. It sounds like your father and mother are both feeling the strain in their own ways, and they're taking it out on you - but whatever happens you cannot blame yourself, because it is not your fault. You sound like a wonderful young woman, all the best to you.