Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Question ? too old to drive?

Help -

has anyone ever talked/needed to talk to the adult children of a senior citizen who most likely should not be driving?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:53 PM

longhairedgnome will become famous soon enough
Re: ? too old to drive?

Well, yes and no. The father of a coworker of mine drove longer than he should have. Everyone knew he should hang up the keys but if anyone brought it up to him he brushed it off. Coworker said they didn't know how to get him to stop. He'd say it was okay for him to drive because he'd only be hurting himself if he crashed. They were finally able to get him to see that wasn't true and if he crashed he could seriously hurt innocent people.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

We had a neighbor who should not have been driving. We talked to her adult daughter who already knew it. They finally talked to the doctor.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:24 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

You could talk to me until you were blue in the face, but there is no way i could get my mother to stop driving, as she has zero understanding of personal responsibility. I'm hoping she will lose her licence for speeding, and it won't be an issue any more.

What's happened in your situation?
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on talking with the police & seeing what they recomend. I've sat on it, wondering if I should stay out of it

My biggest fear is that "Marge" will seriously injure/kill someone - and if something does happen & I didn't even try to "fix" it
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:50 PM
future crazy cat lady

I didn't talk to the police felt I'd come across as interfering/not doing the rational thing of talking to the adult kids first

DH encouraged me to talk to ex ... so I did. I told him everything that his DM had done, and that I was very worried as our neighbor's DH had been killed in an accident - driving the wrong way on a divided highway & that recently in the news there'd been a guy who didn't want to lose his freedom/stop driving when he should have (AND the family knew it), he ended up running over a lady & her baby and the bay was killed.

Ex said that he'd have time to visit him DM this summer & would get her to drive him somewhere ... we also discussed the fact that she may need to be formally/professionally evaluated by a driving instructor.
Old April 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's good, snafu. I think you handled that well!
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:59 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Kaykay, Snafu.

I think a relative of mine has to resort to actually confiscating the keys to their parents car as they were never going to give up driving.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara