Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old January 6th, 2014, 10:29 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation "Snowmagedon"

How's everyone holding up (the mid-west region of "The States" have been hit with record freezing temps)?

Part of my prep was filling the bird feeders before the snow & cold hit. The birds have been chowing down and the cats enjoying the view.
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:39 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Snowmagedon"

Hanging in there. Gkids are out of school today. DD and SIL work for the University so they're off today too. Wife's at home sewing a curtain and probably checking football stats. Wouldn't mind being home myself.

Saturday we picked up one of those heated bird baths and hooked it up. Checked it out yesterday morning when I was shoveling the driveway and the water hadn't froze (the previous one we had did). Water was cool, but not cold. Looked at it again this morning when it was -6 and no ice in the bird bath. Thing works rather well.

We have plenty of firewood - gonna keep the fire going during this cold spell. Looking forward to warmer weather...
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:49 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about a heated birdbath before. Is it solar powered or electric?
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Snow is on a distinguished road

Holding up fairly well over here. We recently had a pretty nasty ice storm, and now have over a foot of snow! Haven't lost power, though, so no complaints. (It certainly helps that I'm not the one who has to shovel it...hehe)
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed is on a distinguished road

Wow! my thoughts go out to everyone in the mid-west region.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:03 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Supposed to get up to 27 today. Never thought I'd be satisfied with 27 degrees.

Heat wave?
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM
is never to loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
I've thought about a heated birdbath before. Is it solar powered or electric?
Electric. We were rather impressed with it too. When the temps fell to below zero the water didn't freeze. It was a 75 watt heated bird bath. About 12" across. We set it in an existing bird bath we had and I ran a 40' outdoor extension cord from it to the outside outlet.

Haven't seen any birds myself. My wife said she saw a couple of birds getting a drink.
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:31 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
Supposed to get up to 27 today. Never thought I'd be satisfied with 27 degrees.

Heat wave?

A day or two ago, DH and I were excited that the temp was 1 degree - up from -11 degrees (and that's without windchill. We would have been happy with 0.

Now, I'm happy we've almost hit freezing .

Thing is we still don't know if School District will have school tomorrow due to a broken water main.
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:38 AM
future crazy cat lady

Last night we were sure that there'd be school today. (what was I thinking ... the forcast called for 1-3" of snow ... looked like more than that this morning)

I had my clothes laid out, lunch preped, plus my name tag, keys, etc with my purse. At barely past 5 the phone rings, school's canceled. Oh joy - we've now had 5 snowdays this school year - and I don't know when there're being made up. Looks like summer break will be shorter - or maybe spring break.

At this time I don't know if it'd be worth school being open one day/Friday this week. The kids are going to be hyped.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM
is never to loud.

Almost all that white crap melted away this weekend!