Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
How big is your turkey?

I bought a 8.68 pounder. Hopefully that'll be enough for a family of 4 (one of the four being a teenage boy).
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: How big is your turkey?

"How big is your turkey?"

Um, he's about 5'8, 220 pounds, ooohhh, you mean the kind you stuff and bake? Lucky for my kids, its not my year to cook TG dinner (I get Christmas Eve).

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Old November 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

I got an 18 pounder.

Yeah, that's big but nobody in DH's family will touch the dark meat, so I have to allow for that.

As for the turkey who's coming over for dinner that day, well, DH has promised to keep refilling my wine glass and not leaving me alone with FIL.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM

How many are you feeding? (I know you mentioned it somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look right now. ) We didn't used to have too many dark meat fans here, but DS discovered turkey legs at a fair last year. He'll have them for his after-dinner snacks.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

6 adults, 2 kids. (That is, the boys' cousins, who will eat the turkey, as opposed to the boys themselves, who probably won't.)

Ugh. I just dealt with what every parent loves...the middle of the night cry, "Mommy! Mommy!......*BLEARGGGHHHH*!" Poor little DS2.

DH is totally freaked. We've actually been hit really light with the tummy bugs with our guys, for some reason, so this was a big shock to him. I know from my mommy friends that I've been fortunate, but this was bound to happen sooner or later. My poor little guy, though.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:52 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 22 lb turkey. We're feeding 11, but sending everyone home with leftovers.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

Being in Canada, we celebrated our Thanksgiving back in early October so that's over thankfully (heh heh, get it?)

Your birds are HUGE though - kind of freaks me out when they are that size. My family are white meat people, DH's family are dark meat people so we had the same problem HHH with the bird needing to be large to accomodate our delicate palates!

Sorry to hear about your littlest one - tummy bugs are awful. Hopefully it blows through before this week-end (maybe your IL's can share in the barf-celebration hmmm????)
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

LL, I would be happy to share this joy with the ILs. I just hope DH and I don't share in it ourselves. (Especially DH. He's a huge baby when he is sick. And now that we have kids, my wifely response has gone from, "My poor darling, can I make you some soup?" to "Oh GREAT, I guess now I just have to do EVERYTHING.")

Sadly DS1 has it too, and far worse than DS2. DS1 has a fever and has been miserable all day.

Oh well. Kids bounce back quick. (I hope, I hope).
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

20lbs and it was free with $150 purchase. We were getting groceries anyway so the turkey being free was a nice bonus. We'll be serving 7. Us and FIL and his guest.

The turkey will be dinner, leftovers sent home with FIL, lunches for us and eventually soup. I have a 'new' recipe for homemade noodles. (A family recipe I remember my mom making thirty years ago but that was just given to me last month. It should be fun to make with the kids.)

And then we'll be having another T-day in early December as my parents guests.

Sorry to hear about your sickies HHH. We have a mild sore throat thing here. I don't envy you the blechs. I had to laugh when you said, "Oh, great now I just get to do EVERYTHING." I so understand that.