Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:13 AM

gardenofjade is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem with mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottieLab View Post
My dad is running two websites all by himself, 1 retail and 1 manafacturing. He doesn't have time to do anything!
How is the money situation? Can he afford to bring in a nanny once or twice a week to help out with the homelife?
Are you allowed to go over to neighbors houses to hang out after school?
On weekends does he take the time to spend with you?
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM

LottieLab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenofjade View Post
How is the money situation? Can he afford to bring in a nanny once or twice a week to help out with the homelife?
Are you allowed to go over to neighbors houses to hang out after school?
On weekends does he take the time to spend with you?
No, he can't afford it. My mom would ber kinda sceptical about bringing in a nanny. Well, my neighbours are an elderly couple, a teenager I used to be friends with but,well, she's got her older friends, a few busy parents with kids who are younger than me that I don't really know and another elderly couple. No, he's too busy to spend any time with me apart from maybe 10mins every week or two. He used to spend loads of time with me, but now he's too busy.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Mrs X has much to be proud ofMrs X has much to be proud ofMrs X has much to be proud of

Lottie, read Annsdil's post at #30 again as there is heaps of helpful info in it. I think your family need some help too.
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
No, he can't afford it. My mom would ber kinda sceptical about bringing in a nanny. Well, my neighbours are an elderly couple, a teenager I used to be friends with but,well, she's got her older friends, a few busy parents with kids who are younger than me that I don't really know and another elderly couple. No, he's too busy to spend any time with me apart from maybe 10mins every week or two. He used to spend loads of time with me, but now he's too busy.
Is there an after-school program? Do you like books?
How long will his job be so time consuming?
Does mom realize she has a problem, she seems neglected too?
When I was a kid I hung out with an elderly neighbor, she was a teacher and taught me how to garden.
Does your school have a counselor that you can talk to?
Is there a sport recreation center in your neighborhood that is safe?
Can you take up a hobby with mom that will teach you a skill? Like cooking maybe?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Is there an after-school program? Do you like books?
How long will his job be so time consuming?
Does mom realize she has a problem, she seems neglected too?
When I was a kid I hung out with an elderly neighbor, she was a teacher and taught me how to garden.
Does your school have a counselor that you can talk to?
Is there a sport recreation center in your neighborhood that is safe?
Can you take up a hobby with mom that will teach you a skill? Like cooking maybe?
Yes, but its expensive!
Yes
A long time
No, and what do you mean by that part?
One of my elderly neighbours is nice, I help her in the garden too! But she is rarely home.
No
No
When I try ccooking with her, I never get to do any actual cooking, only cleaning up afterwards.
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:30 AM

KayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud of

Lottie, you haven't responded to Annsdil's post #30. Did you have a chance to read it? Mrs X is right... there's a lot of good information there.

Does your mom work outside of the home?

Please don't feel that you have to answer all of our questions. It's probably not a good idea to share too much personal information with strangers on the internet. That's not a safe habit.
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
No, and what do you mean by that part?
Ok, I gotcha, money is tight and dad's working 2 jobs to keep the family.
Meanwhile, mom is drifting away into depression and not building healthy relationships with her kids. Dad is too busy to notice and the whole family is neglected.
There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the world economic situation does not allow the normal family to be sustainable these days. That means that it takes too much money to pay for everyday necessities and that path cannot be sustained for a long time without breakdown in basic human needs.
Second, we cannot rely on the government, services, or helpers to bail us out all the time. So if school isn't providing free services for kids, and parents cannot afford services then children are going without. This reaches a critical stage when children are without food. And that is the situation in many places.
Finally, LottieLab, you have a computer and access to it. You are an intelligent child. If you mom gets to the point where she is endangering you, your brother, or herself it is the law that the authorities need to be notified. This will, however, make for a situation where there is oversight. This does not provide more money for the family, in many cases it adds requirements. But if you are in danger call for help.
Meanwhile, see how you can best explore your interests and prepare for higher education. You write well, can you write stories. Explore your interests and what you want to be when you grow up and make steps toward that.
Tell me what you think.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Ok, I gotcha, money is tight and dad's working 2 jobs to keep the family.
Meanwhile, mom is drifting away into depression and not building healthy relationships with her kids. Dad is too busy to notice and the whole family is neglected.
There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the world economic situation does not allow the normal family to be sustainable these days. That means that it takes too much money to pay for everyday necessities and that path cannot be sustained for a long time without breakdown in basic human needs.
Second, we cannot rely on the government, services, or helpers to bail us out all the time. So if school isn't providing free services for kids, and parents cannot afford services then children are going without. This reaches a critical stage when children are without food. And that is the situation in many places.
Finally, LottieLab, you have a computer and access to it. You are an intelligent child. If you mom gets to the point where she is endangering you, your brother, or herself it is the law that the authorities need to be notified. This will, however, make for a situation where there is oversight. This does not provide more money for the family, in many cases it adds requirements. But if you are in danger call for help.
Meanwhile, see how you can best explore your interests and prepare for higher education. You write well, can you write stories. Explore your interests and what you want to be when you grow up and make steps toward that.
Tell me what you think.
All of that pretty much makes sense, apart from the part you wrote about my mom being depressed - she's actually quite enjoying herself. I would ask for help, if I was in danger. But I don't quite tthink I've got across the fact thatt she only hits us about 4 times a year.

Ok! I'm actually hoping to be an author, my teacher thinks I could be and even my mom admitted I was a good writer!

Ok, I think this counts as a reply to Annsdil's post. The reason why I don't go telling the authorities or whatever, is because they'd think I was silly. They've got bbigger problems to deal with, like the baby who was beaten half-to-death by an evil stepmother or something. My situation isn't big enough for them to bother. That's why.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:27 AM

KayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud ofKayKay has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting, LottieLab. I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread because I think we've gone about as far as it can go. If there are any other things you want to talk about or ask advice about, you can always start another thread.