Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:35 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gas Prices

That's the way capitalism works. It tends towards monopolies and price gouging until consumers stop buying. Then the companies will lower prices until consumers do buy. Or until the government steps in and regulates.

Is that what you're proposing?
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:38 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Ahh, I will never forget those days we could only get gas on certain days. Early 80's? It's bull. IMO.

1965 - OPEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEVUqrNa5M&NR=1 Hmmm, interesting. Gas shortage? Dependence on foreign oil? Could be. My next vehicle? Escalade. For hubby? Hummer, of course. I will follow him to dinners, weddings, etc. I love the power.

Last edited by JemStar; June 28th, 2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

You have it so lucky in the US.

Right now in the UK your US Gallon works out at about £5.29 or $8.46 equivalent!

It is putting haulage companies out of business as they don't get any relief, food and everything is rocketing because of the high cost of transportation.

And yes of course Oil companies are always delighted to announce their high profits!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
That's the way capitalism works. It tends towards monopolies and price gouging until consumers stop buying. Then the companies will lower prices until consumers do buy. Or until the government steps in and regulates.

And right now many companies have us over a barrel - so to speak, because they know people won't just give things up or stop buying things.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:06 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Consumers don't have a choice. In the USA the consumer is captive when it comes to gas. I drive 35 miles to work - riding a bike is not an option. I work with a guy who traves 75 mile one way to work. That is his only choice. If gas were to hit $6 bucks a gallon both of us would have to pay that price to get to work. If gas were to hit $10-15 a gallon we would still have to pay that price.

Solution? Drill. Drill everywhere. Suck the Earth dry of oil and while we are doing that, research energy alternatives... wind, solar, whatever. Use the revenues gained from oil and fuel sales to finance this research. It's been said "going green" is going to take about 20 years. How much oil in in the Middle East? Its been speculated at around 200 years worth. How about Shale Oil? Supposedly the US has the potential to produce a trillion barrels of oil for this (whether or not it's true is another story).

Government regulation? I take it you're asking if I think the Government should step in. The Government has - nationally and state. Some politician will step up to the microphone and make a statement about Oil Companies will be investigated because of pressure from the consumer. What happens then? Gas prices go down. Why do they go down? Because the consumer puts pressure on their Congressman and the Congressman does what they are supposed to do. Government does step in and Government keeps Capitalism in check because the people put pressure on the Government.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
You have it so lucky in the US.

Right now in the UK your US Gallon works out at about £5.29 or $8.46 equivalent!

It is putting haulage companies out of business as they don't get any relief, food and everything is rocketing because of the high cost of transportation.

And yes of course Oil companies are always delighted to announce their high profits!
Exactly, we have it easy compared to the rest of the world. The oil companies are making record profits and we're still paying 1/2 of what the rest of the world is paying.

Quote:
Solution? Drill. Drill everywhere. Suck the Earth dry of oil and while we are doing that, research energy alternatives... wind, solar, whatever. Use the revenues gained from oil and fuel sales to finance this research. It's been said "going green" is going to take about 20 years. How much oil in in the Middle East? Its been speculated at around 200 years worth. How about Shale Oil? Supposedly the US has the potential to produce a trillion barrels of oil for this (whether or not it's true is another story).
This is part of the "speculation" that we're paying for.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:13 PM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Exactly, we have it easy compared to the rest of the world. The oil companies are making record profits and we're still paying 1/2 of what the rest of the world is paying.
...and this is okay with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt
This is part of the "speculation" that we're paying for.
Could you elaborate on what "speculation" we are paying for?
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
and this is okay with you?
Yes.

I'm not sure that I understand all the in's and out's but this is how I understand it:

Based on price "speculation" in futures, spot prices rise. Basically, people who never plan to take a delivery buy and resell oil on paper, making money on the difference, driving up the price but manipulating the demand side for oil. That "speculation" leads to the consumer begging for relief in the form of "drill, baby, drill!" i.e. drilling "speculation." Technology might make us better at guessing, but oil companies will still need to do multiple wells, etc and each runs the risk of another BP leak. Who's paying for that leak? Us. Even if there's no leak, there's still chemicals and environmental hazards, and habitat destruction. Ultimately who pays for that? Us.

In the mean time, every drilling contributes to the feeding frenzy on commodities speculation-- it is still demand for more oil without a real increase in supply.

You want to get rid of speculation? Then you need to work on the foreign markets where commodities trading is basically unregulated. The US is already regulated. But, while prices are high, let the demand for more energy and high prices be the mother of invention.
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemStar View Post
Ahh, I will never forget those days we could only get gas on certain days. Early 80's? It's bull. IMO.

1965 - OPEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEVUqrNa5M&NR=1 Hmmm, interesting. Gas shortage? Dependence on foreign oil? Could be. My next vehicle? Escalade. For hubby? Hummer, of course. I will follow him to dinners, weddings, etc. I love the power.
Hey, JemStar! We recently had to buy a new minivan. The old one was literally falling apart. Guess what? In the 16 years that we drove it, there was NO change in gas mileage in that class of vehicle. In fact, it had gotten worse. Where are the electric cars? The high gas-mileage cars? France has had them for years, but the Smart Car is new in America. 50mpg! That'll be the next car we buy.
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM
is never to loud.

We still have a couple of guzzlers, but they're paid for. I'm thinking about purchasing a motorcycle to ride to work on non-rainy days.

I remember the gas lines of the 70's. I had a motorcycle back then and most of the old Mom & Pop stations were closing down and the ones that were open were servicing "regular customers" or "doctors" only. That was the first surge of rising fuel prices. Before then, gas was about .27 cents a gallon. After that, I think it went up to about .65-.70 cents a gallon. I'm not sure.

I remember the triple S&H Green Stamps, Blue Chip Stamps and the free tumblers we used to get when filling up. Full service stations where they'd check your fluid levels, clean your windows and even check your tire pressure. Now all you get is a voice over an intercom telling you that you need to come inside to prepay if you want a receipt and the window cleaning reservoir is dry or someone stole the squeegee.