Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old January 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
What are you reading?

- Beside the newspaper, lol.

I've just finished Brisingr, 3rd in the Eragon Triolgy, so I thought it was the last one. Hrump. He's split the last book into two, and has only finished the first of the final instalment! -

Really great fantasy writing, along the lines of Lord Of the Rings and Harry Potter. This series examines the complicated politics of the time, and how the hero of the story gets imbroiled in them, without having a political clue. (I know how he feels!)

The first book was made into a movie, but unfortunately, the movie left out several important details, which became even more important to the story as a whole. Will be interesting to see if they can make up ground to make a decent sequel. The series is so good, it deserves to be given the fine movie treatment of HP and LOtR.
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Queen Bees and Wannabes. Oh, and I just re-read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I've got to go back to a book I took a break from called The E Myth Revisited, and a friend really wants me to read The Shack.

Mostly, I'm reading the Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma catalogs.
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

I just finished "The Murders of Richard III" by Elizabeth Peters, which I liked. Jacqueline Kirby isn't as good a character as Amelia Peabody, but since I have read all the current Amelias and am waiting impatiently for another I have to make do.

I have been rereading Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen).

I am also in the midst of "The Way We Never Were" by Stephanie Koontz. Nonfiction, about the history of the American family and the nostalgia for the "ideal" family that perhaps never actually existed.

That makes two, count 'em, two NEW books that I have been reading! DH makes fun of me all the time because I spend such a huge amount of time rereading old favorites. (I'm not even going to bother listing the Agatha C's that I have been reading over again lately....)
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

OMG... I've got Murder on the Orient Express on my coffee table! I downloaded it onto DS's iPod so he can listen and read at the same time (helps with comprehension) and I've been itching to pick it up. I haven't read it in YEARS.
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:51 AM

august is on a distinguished road

okay, remeber the babys first years book, like the what to do when your expecting, and baby's first years....well I am currently reading the toddler years...

wonder when the teen years is going to come out....
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
okay, remeber what to do when your expecting, and baby's first years....

(I'm waiting too - do you think they'll eventually get to the adult & senior years)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
okay, remeber the babys first years book, like the what to do when your expecting, and baby's first years....well I am currently reading the toddler years...

I think by the teen years we're supposed to have given up. (or is that just me?)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM

august is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I think by the teen years we're supposed to have given up. (or is that just me?)
hey, that is what my MIL thinks...she said and I quote "I stopped trying to parent them when they were 15-16, they wouldn't listen to me anyway (listen to her yell), so I started again when they turned 23-24...' end quote...

I was not the only person in the room who told her she had it compl;etely backwards
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM

Well, if I stop trying to parent them when they're 15-16, I'm not going to start trying again later. LOL. Once I'm done, I'm done.

(and ftr, I didn't say it right. I meant to contrast the "read all the parenting books and try to be the perfect parent and understand everything the child is going through" with the "try to not kill them". By the time my kids were teens, I figured out that my kids never do anything I expect them to do, and didn't fit the mold of the "What to Expect" books. LOL.)
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:17 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a thread that needs to be brought back to life!

Stalingrad by Anthony Beever is my current and latest.

My wife got it for me for my Birthday.