Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Old November 7th, 2014, 09:37 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Diet sabotage!

It's no secret that I've been trying to lose some weight. Even a low fat/lower calorie diet with exercising every day didn't help much. 3 weeks ago, I decided to try a modified low-carb diet. Basically, I just cut out sugar, pasta, potatoes, bread, baked goods, soda... I still need a spoonful of sugar in my coffee, though.

Actually, I'm enjoying it because I have dressing on my salads and I'm eating meat! And it helped over Halloween because I didn't eat the candy I normally would have. So far I've lost about 5 lbs, finally breaking a threshold that I haven't seen in 10 years!

And along comes the saboteur. DM. "Can I bake you a cake for your birthday? Can I make cookies? Can I buy you some of your favorite chocolate?" No. No. NO!!!

And now she's starting with the "I guess I can't make cookies at Christmas." WTH does my diet have to do with her Christmas cookies???

And everybody has diabetes; maybe we ought not be eating so many cookies.
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:25 PM
is a painting fool.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diet sabotage!

That's what mothers are for...

Mine used to get a little upset with me because she would make me sweet things like that and I wouldn't eat them. I'd tell her I'll give them to the gkids and she would get aggrevated and tell me she made them for me. Well, okay then... I'd gobble a couple of cookies down and ask her not to make me anymore. Sure enough... she'd do it again. Over and over and over and over.

Oh well... <shrug>

I kind of miss those cookies now.
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:47 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you do, Knot. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old November 8th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Et tu, DH? He worked late and asked we wait for dinner to eat with him. He brought home pizza. He didn't realize pizza was high carbs.
Old November 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

It's not if you peel off the toppings and eat them without the crust.

But seriously... good luck with your diet. I'm afraid that I'm one of the saboteurs at times, for my DH and DD. It's just hard for me to resist buying a "treat" that I know they like. I think I'm doing it out of love, but I have to learn that it's more loving to help them stick to their diet.

I'm impressed that you can resist Halloween candy!
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:02 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

2 days fasting Lucy, then you can eat what you want the rest of the week!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:25 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

2 days fasting

I literally get ill if I skip meals
Old November 9th, 2014, 12:15 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

You eat up to 500 cals on a fasting day and drink plenty (within those cals). Some people may have genuine physical health effects, but for most people it's mind over matter. Not recommended though for children, the elderly, pregnant or nursing mothers and diabetics. I could go on, but the best thing to do is look it up!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:35 AM

2 days fasting, Anns? The I couldn't even eat the toppings of the pizza!

Does that 500 kcal include the calories burned during exercise? What do you eat on fast days?
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Whilst you can exercise on a fast day, you can't eat back the calories!

I generally have black coffee or beef oxo to drink through the day. Salmon fillet and vegetables, omelette with 1 whole egg and 2 whites, chicken breast roasted with cherry tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, tarragon, and chilli flakes with veg. There are lots to have. Being so small or problem Lucy is that our bodies only need a fraction of what our had tell us we need! I could easily consume twice and more than what I should on a normal day. I guess that's why it's good though, because you are only restricting calories twice a week!

After a while you find your appetite does decrease. I will hold my hands up and admit I haven't done it properly for a good while. I lost 20lbs in 4 months and put back 4lb .