Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Old September 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough
Transitions lenses

Has anyone tried them? Recommendations good or bad?

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transitions lenses

oops - I thought you said "transitional glasses" (ie transitional line bifocals) not transitions.
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:01 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Not familiar with them, I was thinking the same as Snafu. What are they Elaine?
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

It's a treatment on glasses that makes them turn dark outside (with UV protection) then fade back to light inside. Basically they are 'transitional' sunglasses.

Very cool. My DH has them and likes them very much. DS1 has them too. His opinion is all glasses are stupid and usless and he doesn't need them--but then, he's 5. I only have reading glasses, only for reading and computer, so it did not seem worth getting it for me.
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
Not familiar with them, I was thinking the same as Snafu. What are they Elaine?
http://en-us.transitions.com/

Yup, what HHH said. Supposedly, they eliminate the need for regular glasses and sunglasses. You just have one pair of glasses and the tint auto-adjusts to the amount of light you are in.

I've only known one person who had a pair many, many years ago. He didn't like them. He said they darkened to soon for his liking and he always felt like he was walking around in the dark-- like he could never get enough light.

It's good to hear your DH likes them, HHH.

I'm getting frustrated with the glasses and contacts thing. I try to wear contacts most of the time and carry sunglasses with me. However, since I've been working more on the computer, I've been wearing my regular glasses more and going back and forth. And that's just as frustrating because now I need a prescription pair of sunglasses when I go outside. Too much craziness. I was hoping these would be a good fit.

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM

april is on a distinguished road

I need glasses only for distance (that is for driving and for conferences when the screen is far) and I got those transition glasses. Please, Elaine, take into consideration that if you need them for driving, the transition part is useless, because they need direct light to become dark and apparently when you are in the car behind windshield, it's not the direct light, so they don't bother getting dark. I ended up ordering another pair of prescription sunglasses (that are always dark) which I use for driving when it is sunny.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:02 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they are more popular here because of our high UV? (Photochromic lenses). - I've had them on and off, but the grey of the actual sun tint doesn't agree with me, it doesn't "feel" like it is cutting down the glare much. If I choose sun glasses, I choose a more brown tone in the lenses.

The modern colour-change lenses change quickly and appropriately, you probably wouldn't be upset with the transition speed or depth.

My glasses have a clip-on attachment, which fits exactly over the lenses, and attaches magnetically. I prefer this, as the colour is a grey-brown mix.

The other problem I always found with the transition lenses was that in the shop, you try them on with only the clear lens. After you have handed over the $$$$$$$$$, when you finaly get outside, and they change to a dark colour, the result has never been as flattering as the $$$$$ seemed like it should be, grump!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM

Thank you april and Mrs. X for the honest feedback. I'm still putting off making a decision.

Old November 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM

lv3313 is on a distinguished road

Have had them for years and love them.