Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM

lv3313 is on a distinguished road
Change in plans for grandson

While I thought I was going to take my grandson for 1 year, it turned out that he wanted to stay at home for school. we almost had everything in place for him to come, but I guess we forgot the most important part, and that was asking him what he thought! I believe he may be sorry that he did not come, as things are not any better at home! He is just getting more angry and his younger brother, 6 yrs. old, is showing destructive behavior. I've tried getting my daughter to get counseling for them all, including herb. but she refuses!It is real hard to sit by and watch them, but doesn't seem to be any I can do. I do bring him here to stay with me as often as possible. any ideas out there?
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough
Re: Change in plans for grandson

Keep loving them and listening. I understand the desire to 'fix it' and the frustration about her not jumping into counseling. She will do it or not when she is ready. You can only continue to listen and offer support. I admire your not trying to force your grandson to be with you. Your listening to them will make you a safe resource to turn to if they change their minds. If he regrets not going with you don't tell him or his mother "I told you so" shaming would only make a difficult request for help harder to experience.

It sounds like you are listening and doing the very best you can already. Good for you.

Last edited by nonnymouse; November 24th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: Change in plans for grandson

What Nonny said.

Also, try to help your grandson something that he loves and help him follow through. Giving a child a passion can help lead them through even the toughest of times, whether it be sports, drawing, music, reading, etc... Encourage and show him healthy relationships at every chance.

You made mention of a younger sibling? What's being done for this poor child?

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!