Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old September 10th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Cool What advice would you have given your future self?

Lets say we are all teens or early 20's again, if you could give your future self some advice, what would it be?

Some of mine would be:

1) Take your time to grow up, dont wish your life away or that you are older.
2) Take time to consider an opportunity, not always the first one is the best.
3) Take time to really get to know people, before getting too close.
4) Dont marry that idiot you met in a night club at 18, wake up!!
5) As soon as you know someone is a loser or an idiot, ditch them quickly.
6) Go to Uni or tertiary study after leaving school, think about your future.
7) Dont get that tiger tattoo on your back or that tongue and navel piercing.
8) Find your voice,stand your ground, let people know they need to respect you.
9) Dont be afraid to question, you dont have to follow the sheeple.
10) Know that you are worth it, even if that means having a harder start in life to others, you have just run a longer race, thats all.

Just a few of mine,what would your list be?

Last edited by Catwoman; September 10th, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:30 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What advice would you have given your future self?

1) don't waste time on regrets. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way.

2) like Dori, just keep swimming!
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

1) Steer clear of drama
2) Be kind to everyone
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard, because on the one hand I wish I'd had the spine to have told my mum where to go when I was my late teens/early twenties instead of being guilt bound to her - not saying cut her off, but basically made it clear I was entitled to live my life how I chose.

I would have told myself to run from now xh and not got involved!

Hindsight is 20-20 BUT we don't get to cherry pick what we see. So therefore, if I went back and did these two things, then my kids wouldn't have been born. I may have had different kids, but not these kids and so for that I would have to do it all again. Also if I hadn't been who I was, I wouldn't now be who I am.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:19 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
It's hard, because on the one hand I wish I'd had the spine to have told my mum where to go when I was my late teens/early twenties instead of being guilt bound to her - not saying cut her off, but basically made it clear I was entitled to live my life how I chose.

I would have told myself to run from now xh and not got involved!

Hindsight is 20-20 BUT we don't get to cherry pick what we see. So therefore, if I went back and did these two things, then my kids wouldn't have been born. I may have had different kids, but not these kids and so for that I would have to do it all again. Also if I hadn't been who I was, I wouldn't now be who I am.

I agree, because I regretted staying in a dead end job for years that went nowhere really, I felt I could have been more productive if I had looked for something better, I felt I really wasted my life there 15 years in total, going back twice in that time.I advanced in many ways into management even,starting as a trainee working from the bottom up, I finally found the courage to leave when I knew the company was in trouble, I never regretted that. My employer took advantage of me,and kept me underpaid and over worked,so didnt get as far as I could have......but......that company was where I met my now,second husband of 16yrs now, the man I married having two lovely kids to and who is taking us home across the world to meet his amazing big family,this Xmas. Its a trip of a lifetime. I went back a second time to that place when I was invited to take another job,and it did enable us to buy our first home as well 6 years ago.Some things I might never have had the chance to do,I would have missed my chance to meet hubby, if I hadnt worked there or even stayed as long as I did......fate has a funny way of working in your favour sometimes.

I have found clouds do have silver linings, we just have to look harder to see them as they are sometimes hidden from view......for all the bad things we go through, there is good fortune in one way or another later down the track, we just dont know it till we get there.

Last edited by Catwoman; September 11th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:35 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I should have been a storm chaser...
Old January 5th, 2017, 02:47 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

To be braver/have more courage

and try more things (photography, volunteer work, etc)

I actually did take a jazz/tap/ballet class in college - as I'd always wanted ballet lessons as a kid

When DS was a baby I tried to take a photography class, but between him getting sick, my baby sitter & backup sitters getting sick, then me getting sick ... I only made to about 1/2 of the classes (& once I had DS with me) - the teacher understood and was good with it.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:19 AM

SunnyMay is on a distinguished road

I would give myself advice - do not be shy and do not fear change.
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:35 PM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Become a Detective and solve crimes.

or

Join a forum.
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:40 AM

SSVS is on a distinguished road

Nothing, I would have let it proceed as planned with all the bad mistakes and horrible pains. Avoid one and I might have moved my path in a different direction to not have met my wife.