Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old April 15th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Sweety is on a distinguished road
Re: On Grandparent Rights

As for me my Mother is the only person in this world I could trust my child to. She has always been the Great Mother & now she has become the best Grandmother to my little Sonny. It has always been like a tradition in our family to help young parents with their kids. I gladly remember all the happy moments of my childhood the most of which I spent with my late Grandmother (my Mum's Mother). Though I cannot say much good about my Grandmother on my Father's side - she has always been some type of hard-hearted personality. Though, I guess, that is purely individual trait of character - people are different - 'Do not judge lest you be judged'.
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM

maggie is on a distinguished road

Everything you said is absolutely correct - I agree with you entirely. I am in that situation where I have been deprived as a paternal granny. This is due to DIL's who are self-righteous bullies who only recognise their own mothers as the granny - I was a fantastic mom to my 3 sons, a single mother who revolved my life around them, I was mom and dad - the one who took them fishing and sporting activities, our home was filled with their friends, I sacrificed my maintenance for private school fees, among many other sacrifices. Now I am not good enough to be a granny ....... thanks to DIL's who have blinkers on and were too privilidged and spoilt to recognise that their husbands mother may have faults and made mistakes, but as a result of her struggles is an interesting and compassionate person.

I miss my grand children so much that it feels as if I am hit by a train every day of my life. The problem today is that DIL's are spoilt and husbands today are too soft on their wives - it's all about money and materialism with young couples - putting the granny on the backburner as they have far more interesting things to do in their plastic lives then worry about her feelings.
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums.

I'm truly sorry that you have bullies for DIL's who would treat such a loving person like you this way. It is surely bad luck to have more than one DIL treat you this way.

Truth is however, as many nasty DIL's there are out there who stop GP's seeing their GK's, there are equally some nasty MIL's (and FIL's) who have abused their own kids and continue to abuse them as adults, and abuse their spouses. When the next generation come along it's time for the abused now adult kids and their spouses to say enough, our kids need protecting and this cycle of abuse stops here and now.

What you have to remember is people don't just turn into bullies once they say I do, they will likely to have always been this way. It's just a bully who now happens to be a DIL and will eventually become a MIL from whom their own DIL's and SIL's will want to protect their kids from.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush, just as we wouldn't presume all MIL's to be like our own.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara

Last edited by Annsdil; July 4th, 2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie View Post
Everything you said is absolutely correct - I agree with you entirely. I am in that situation where I have been deprived as a paternal granny. This is due to DIL's who are self-righteous bullies who only recognise their own mothers as the granny - I was a fantastic mom to my 3 sons, a single mother who revolved my life around them, I was mom and dad - the one who took them fishing and sporting activities, our home was filled with their friends, I sacrificed my maintenance for private school fees, among many other sacrifices. Now I am not good enough to be a granny ....... thanks to DIL's who have blinkers on and were too privilidged and spoilt to recognise that their husbands mother may have faults and made mistakes, but as a result of her struggles is an interesting and compassionate person.

I miss my grand children so much that it feels as if I am hit by a train every day of my life. The problem today is that DIL's are spoilt and husbands today are too soft on their wives - it's all about money and materialism with young couples - putting the granny on the backburner as they have far more interesting things to do in their plastic lives then worry about her feelings.
I am sorry your heart is hurt, Maggie.

Welcome to the forum though.

Maybe you will be able to reconnect with your sons and their families in the future. How old are your grandchildren? What do your sons have to say about your hurt? Or do they even know?

I agree with Annsdil that not all DILs or MILs are the same.

I have read stories posted elsewhere from DILs and mothers of babies who are horribly hurt that they can't get the grandma to show any interest in their child because they are too busy, seem selfishly over involved or even state outright that they don't want to care about the baby because they don't like its parents. So very sad.

Again, sorry your heart is hurting and welcome to the forum, Maggie.
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:50 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum, Maggie.

I'm sorry that you're going through so much pain right now. It hurts and we have no choice but to accept it sometimes.

Please allow me to caution you a little. Please do not post generalizations of "DILs today..." Those types of phrases come across as baiting and suggest you are looking for debate rather than support. This is not that type of site. We will lock the thread if it appears a fight is going to break out.

This is a support site with both MILs and DILs participating. I am sure that if you will find some help here if you give it a chance. Feel free to start a new thread telling us about your own DILs.

Last edited by 1dilwhosreal; July 4th, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road

im so going to bite the hell out of my tongue...
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

...one mississippi, two mississippi...
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough

Hi maggie. Welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry it's under such painful circumstances.

You say you have three sons, but I wasn't understanding if you all three are married and giving you problems or if it was just one DIL. Feel free to start a thread about your situation and we'll be happy to help if we can.

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM

christydrake77 is on a distinguished road

I know that everyone has their thoughts on Grandparent rights. My family and I just went to court to fight for vistation with my nephew in the state of VA because the mother is not letting us see him. Our story is different though.

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; December 5th, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Removed story, names, and website link
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, christydrake77.

I edited your post to remove the names of those involved, the link, and your request for assistance because they all violate the forum rules.

I'm sorry you are hurting and I hope you can find some peace.