Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old January 6th, 2014, 05:46 PM

LeavingaLegacy will become famous soon enough
Can you truly have balance with work and life?

Hi everyone - my first official post here and figured I'd start with something that's always on my mind. For 13 years I've had my own business. But it's been more of a sole proprietorship that keeps us busy enough, yet not enough to warrant the hiring of additional employees. I'm now looking to begin a 2nd business with the idea already set that it will be a MUCH bigger venture requiring much more time and effort to both start and maintain.

One of the concerns I now have is balancing these ventures with life. Like many of you I have a family of my own. And being there for them is almost a full time job in itself…one that I look forward to everyday. And one thing I've always lived by is the famous saying: "family first". I seize every opportunity I can get to spend time with them and be there for even the smallest of events. And with my sole proprietorship, I’ve had the flexibility to be there for them…a lot.

However, I'm worried that beginning this new venture will have a potentially negative impact on the time I get with my family. So I'm just wondering from everyone else out there (especially those who may own their own business) - is it possible to have that balance between work and family? And how do you do it? When you have a project deadline of midnight tonight and also want to be there for your child's baseball game (hypothetically speaking), how do you decide which way to go?

Looking forward to your input. Thanks everyone!
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:22 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you truly have balance with work and life?

I'm afraid I don't have productive input. My husband is a physician. We don't have the luxury of telling people that DD's basketball game is more important than their health crisis. This is true of police officers, firemen - all kinds of "public servant" types. I think it's wonderful when other parents are there for their kids (and I have the luxury of being there for our kids) but I do think that kids grow up okay if parents miss things every now and then. My kids know that their father would *rather* be home for them, but he can't be because other people need him too.

I think it's an individual thing, with no right or wrong answer. One of those "your mileage may vary" things.
Old January 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Snow is on a distinguished road

to add to the previous post, if there is ever a situation where we're "too busy" to do something with/for our kids, we always make sure to explain it to them. For instance, if they say, "do you want to ____..." we say, "we'd LOVE to____,but ____ (whatever reason, with an explanation) and they usually understand. Remember, this is not for EVERY TIME. Just as a reminder that we never "don't want to" it's just that sometimes, to make their lives better as well, work has to come first in times we wish it wouldn't.
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:22 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingaLegacy View Post
is it possible to have that balance between work and family? And how do you do it? When you have a project deadline of midnight tonight and also want to be there for your child's baseball game (hypothetically speaking), how do you decide which way to go?

Looking forward to your input. Thanks everyone!
It is possible, it those decisions must be made individually, over and over again. Missing a ball game for a midnight deadline is not necessarily a problem. Missing every ballgame or The Big Game is. That may be the time to choose to be late on the project, if possible. As KayKay pointed out, that may not always be possible, but if you are trying, if you make the most of the time you do have together, and communicate as Snow said, your children will know that they are loved and first in your heart.