Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old June 24th, 2011, 06:31 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Swimming Lessons are Over

Every year I/we sign up our GS's for swimming lessons. Both bombed the beginner's class the first time around (they didn't want to put there head under water). It was funny because the parents were like... They failed beginners swimming!!! That was two years ago for the oldest boy. The youngest has completed his 2nd summer of swimming lessons and he bombed again - (no biggie) I have him there for two reasons...

1. So he'll learn not to be afraid of the water and respect it.
2. Social interaction with other kids.

The older missed last year because of softball so I tried to teach him a bit on my own when we went swimming. So he had to be signed up for beginners again. They did a mini-test on him so see how he did and they bumped him up two levels (I really don't know what they levels are). Anyway, I made it to his last class yesterday he he did really good. The guy was like a little fish. He did great when he was moving, but when he stopped moving he sank. Guess I better teach him how to tread water.

The youngest should be ready next summer. He's not afraid of the water anymore so he should be swimming reasonably well (for a 6 year old) by then.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming Lessons are Over

Congratulations! It takes a long time for children to learn to swim. I've known quite a few children who did not do well at beginning swim lessons. My 3 were among them. So they all learned in the backyard pool.

My DD6 just learned to swim under the water. Closing her eyes and hearing the swoosh of her ears filling up was frightening. A pair of good goggles that block the nose, too, was all she needed. Now she's swimming like a fish. Another week or so, and she'll be taught to use the snorkel.
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

That's great! I think every kid on the planet should learn how to swim.
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

My dad believed in "drown proofing", or something. I think it was the latest, greatest expert recommendation at the time. There's a picture of me where I look to be about nine months old, flying through the air with my dad having just tossed me and my mom waiting in the pool below. Yeah. Sink or swim. What a way to learn. (Luckily I have no repressed memories of this and no ensuing fear of water)

My kids loved splashing in kiddie pools from toddlerhood. I taught them to hold their breath underwater in the tub. The kiddie pools got bigger as they did and the fun got more daring (they liked the pool to be at the bottom of a slide). I got them into swimming lessons by the time they were 5 and 3 and we built a backyard pool. I spent many a sweltering day sitting by the pool while they swam. Now, they're old enough to swim alone and the pool sits empty. Go figure.
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:08 AM
is never to loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
There's a picture of me where I look to be about nine months old, flying through the air with my dad having just tossed me and my mom waiting in the pool below.
Awesome! Why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay
I spent many a sweltering day sitting by the pool while they swam. Now, they're old enough to swim alone and the pool sits empty. Go figure.
Well, get in the water.
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I get bored swimming by myself. Plus there's all the effort of skimming. No thanks.
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
Both bombed the beginner's class the first time around ...... They failed beginners swimming!!!

I failed beginning swim lessons (might have been twice) - however, I was the first of my friends who was strong enough & swam well enough to pass the test to be able to swim in the deep pool/diving pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
That's great! I think every kid on the planet should learn how to swim.
ITA with this ^. There was a lake near where I grew up & every summer kids (& some adults) drowned - when I taught I'd review water safety rules with the students (even high school) - when I'd remind them that last summer ___ people/kids drowned & how they all understood (esp. the story about high school kids who were hanging out on a river with a boat & one didn't know how to swim - he never made it home)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I thought DS would never get out of the baby pool - he was in the begiiners group a good few times. Now he's near the end of intermediate courses. DD may just break DS' record by being in the baby pool for twice as long. <sigh> Oh well we'll just keep persevering.

It was reassuring to hear that my friend never thought her DD would ever get out of the baby pool either, and now the same girl competes for the county and is regularly a finalist!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Drowning stats are horrible for nz, so it is a really contentious subject. Lots of school pools have been squeezed closed due to underfunding and time and money pressure on the school communities for upkeep. Now only kids in richer communities are learning to swim, but we have this summer/beach/boating/fishing/watersports lifestyle, which adds up to disaster.

There has been quite a lot of research over the years from the water safety council that shows that kids gain water sense and confidence much better if one of their adults gets in and swims with them. eg, if little kids see mum is scared to put her face in the water, they will be reluctant too.

DD would try and crawl to a pool before she could walk though, she was fascinated by the huge "bath". She'd happily leap into any body of water, and just assume someone would pull her out. We were petrified she would drown, and took her off to swimming lessons from about 2. Made her less desperate to get in any water. (still "keen" but not "run-away-from-mum-as-soon-as-she-lets-go"). They are all different, kids who are a bit nervous around water probably have the advantage, as they will learn to swim first, before they do stupid things around water.