Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough
Re: Obama pledges to bankrupt Coal Industry

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. -- Dr. David Burns
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

1DH+4Kids=Happyus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine View Post

I don't think that's going to be your mantra when it is only change in your pocket.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM

sorry elaine - it was 40% on corporate profits... which is WAY out of line with the rest of the world. It cramps the ability of our businesses to do business internationally...

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9762

In the U.S today, the combined federal and state tax on corporate profits averages 40%, which is increasingly out of line with the rest of the world. The average corporate tax rate dropped to 25.9% in 2008 from 37.7% in 1996 among 97 countries surveyed by KPMG, and to 23.2% from 38% in the European Union. Corporate tax revenues typically increased as a share of GDP after tax rates were reduced. Countries with corporate tax rates from 12.5% to 25%, such as Ireland, Switzerland, Austria and Denmark, routinely collect more corporate tax revenue as a share of GDP than the anemic 2.1% figure the Congressional Budget Office projects for the U.S.

In a new Tax & Budget Bulletin at Cato.org, Jack Mintz of the University of Calgary estimates that a federal-state corporate tax rate higher than 28% loses money for the government. Kimberly Clausing of Reed College estimated revenues would be maximized with a 33% federal and state tax. Kevin Hassett and Alex Brill of the American Enterprise Institute found "the revenue maximizing point has dropped over time, and is about 26%." In all of these studies, cutting the federal tax to 28%-30% sooner rather than later is very likely to raise revenue.

Regardless who wins the election, an accelerated version of Mr. McCain's original plan -- to cut the corporate tax rate to 28%-30% and expense investments in business equipment -- is by far the most potent "stimulus plan" anyone has yet proposed. And far from costing $200 billion a year, as Mr. Obama claims, it wouldn't cost a dime.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Gwynneth is on a distinguished road

A) Even if he DID DO that...isn't it WAYYY overdue? I mean...had ANYBODY out there...(Helloooo!!!!) heard of this thing called "global warming"? It's real.

B) If he said that...well, more power to him! I WANT Those suckers to be bankrupt! They've torn up up enough of this country in pursuit of WEALTH & POWER and after over ONE HUNDRED YEARS...I cannot believe they're even still a force to be bankrupted, rather than a lame-o idiot with myopia who needs to be KICKED TO THE CURB for for NOT PLAYING NICE with OUR PLANET!!!

BTW...are you all here in some kind of H.G. Wells Time Machine, thinking COAL is your salvation, or what?!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM

So Gweneth - when you can't afford your electric because he doesn't want nuclear energy either - how will you feel about that?

BTW - what do you say of the astrophysicists etc who don't believe in global warming?

And I find it ironic that every time there is a global warming conference - such as the one in England last week, there are record COLD temperatures.

http://www.wnho.net/global_warming.htm

http://globalwarminghoax.wordpress.com/

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!

Last edited by 1DH+4Kids=Happyus; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DH+4Kids=Happyus View Post
I don't think that's going to be your mantra when it is only change in your pocket.
I don't have any change in my pocket now...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM

You'll have even less with the increase in your budget due to corporate taxes being increased and passed on to consumers... and more taxes.

To have larger government you need larger taxes.

BTW - Obama has finally realized that he can't do all that he has promised...
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2...6169041&page=1

(and blames Bush of course.)

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DH+4Kids=Happyus View Post
I don't have any change in my pocket now...

What about the current regime do you suggest is good and why should the status quo be good enough to continue on with 1DH?

Neither of the men running is a savior. And I hate the news coverage that makes McCain look like a boob because he is not. It is a mark against the media for sure whenever they make news out of nothing. But why would you personally be satisfied with more of the past 8 years?

Last edited by nonnymouse; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM

In all honesty - I can't vote for Obama for his positions on expanding the government.

Only Obama is saying JM is going to "continue with Bush policies".. in fact - it depends on the issue.. (notice link from NY Times... LOL)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/us.../17policy.html

A look at Mr. McCain’s 25-year record in the House and Senate, his 2008 campaign positions and his major speeches over the last three months indicates that on big-ticket issues — the economy, support for continuing the Iraq war, health care — his stances are indeed similar to Mr. Bush’s brand of conservatism. Mr. McCain’s positions are nearly identical to the president’s on abortion and the types of judges he says he would appoint to the courts.

On the environment, American diplomacy and nuclear proliferation, Mr. McCain has strikingly different views from Mr. Bush, and while he shares the president’s goals in Iraq, he was at times an outspoken critic of the way the war was managed.

When it comes to dealing with terrorism suspects, Mr. McCain has supported imposing tighter rules than favored by the administration on the use of harsh interrogation techniques, but has consistently been with the president on limiting the legal rights of Guantánamo detainees. In one indicator that his view of executive power is moving closer to that of Mr. Bush, his campaign has recently signaled that he believes it was constitutional for the president to authorize wiretaps without warrants to monitor Americans’ international phone calls and e-mail.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!