Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old September 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Virginiann is on a distinguished road
My son, my youngest, my baby...

My son is twenty-five years old and lives with my husband and myself. He has been a lost soul for many years and angry ever since I can remember. He has lived with all his friends, not worked, worked, and when he was about 21 I discovered he was an alcoholic, that about tore me apart, but I moved past it.

Well two years ago he moved back into town and could not get his act together to save his life. Fast food jobs were not enabling him to pay court fines and live. So, I had had it. I made the decision to pay off all these fines and get him a job where I work and I had him move back home. My husband and I decided that we were going to get this kid on his feet once and for all and make sure he had the tools he would need to move out on his own and succeed. He was very appreciative and it really helped him get on his feet. Out of my three kids he is the best one to live with us because he is so quiet we rarely even know he is home. He doesnít make a mess and he makes for a really good roommate.

We made a payment schedule and he stuck with it to a T. That was 7 months ago. He has paid me off and owes me only for minor things.

Well all this sounds good so far right? Wrong! He canít save money to save his life and I canít figure out what the heck he is doing with all this money and I mean at least $1500.00 a month! He has absolutely nothing to show for it.

I certainly know how he acts when he is drinking, I know how he looks when he is smoking pot, no jittery movements like coke, or anything I have read or heard about so I just never could put my finger on it but being a mom I KNEW there was something going on I just didnít know what.

Well last Thursday morning, I was getting stuff together for our trip to California (which if you all are following my life you will know all about that). Under my sons bed there are large drawers where I had some throw pillows stored and along with the pillows I found a tobacco box that I am quite familiar with. Inside that little box was a ton of teeny tiny tin foil wrappers, tiny pieces of a plastic type paper, and teeny tiny balloons. My heart dropped and I walked over to the computer and looked up Illegal Drug recognition.

There it was, in living color HEROIN. I was sick to my stomach and I about lost it right then and there. I searched and searched for a different answer but web page after web page I got heroin.

Now before I go any further, if I were to write a story about my life I would definitely have to file it under fiction because no one would ever believe it was true. This story too is getting to be a book so I will stop it here and pick up part II tomorrow. Thanks for listening to me babbleÖ this writing is turning into excellent therapy.

Virginia
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Vavoom is on a distinguished road
Re: My son, my youngest, my baby...

I'm so sorry Virginia... heroin is a nasty drug... even the best kids get addicted... i'll follow your story
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this is so sad Virginiann. I'm so sorry. (((hugs)))

Did he go to rehab for his drinking? Or AA meetings or anything?
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:40 PM

elaine will become famous soon enough

V..... You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:05 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

(((Virginia)))

I am so sorry! That has to be a parent's greatest fear, well it is mine, and I don't know many who have answers as to how to help their kids with that addiction.

All I know is those that want to get clean have only done so when they have reahed the absolute pits of despair and they are left with only two options, the most positive one is to get clean. The only way they reach that low is when they are left with absolutely nothing and that is hard for a parent to face that the only way they may be able to help their child is to basically turn their backs - tough love to the extreme. Anything else, any comfort zone at all no matter how small and that enables the kids to continue - b/c they have no reason to stop. I've not heard about any other way to successfully overcome it.

I hope you are going to post with a positive outcome on your story - if not, know that we are all here for you.
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:25 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

Man, that's awful. I'm sorry that you had to find that.
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

I totally understand how you feel and how hard kids can be even when they have the best parents. My DS was the child from hell - fortunately he's good married with kids now (no drugs, but in trouble with the law at every turn).

Hon, that's terrible and heroin is the latest fad of drugs out there, they don't know what they are getting into. My DB died from using heroin, if it would help I'll tell you the story, however I'm interested to know what the status of him is now.
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Beth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
All I know is those that want to get clean have only done so when they have reahed the absolute pits of despair and they are left with only two options, the most positive one is to get clean. The only way they reach that low is when they are left with absolutely nothing and that is hard for a parent to face that the only way they may be able to help their child is to basically turn their backs - tough love to the extreme. Anything else, any comfort zone at all no matter how small and that enables the kids to continue - b/c they have no reason to stop. I've not heard about any other way to successfully overcome it.
This is the only way I know of too. We know a family whose son went through drugs, theft and prostitution. They did not follow the above. They were enablers and this kid just can't get clean. And he's now in his mid-30's. They give excuse after excuse. They let their hearts rule instead of their brain. This is so sad Virginiann. Are you considering getting him into a rehab program?

I wanted to add, if affordability is an issue, the family I am speaking about had to put their son on SSI as this is considered a disability. I don't know anything about going on SSI, but thought you should know of the option. I have heard it can take awhile to get, and you may need an SSI attorney to rush it through. Stay strong. This has got to be very difficult for you.

Last edited by Beth; September 9th, 2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Part II
I had to go to work that day and fortunately, I have the most awesome boss. I tried real hard to concentrate on working but within one hour I was completely falling apart. I went and talked to him and he told me to go right away and call our HR Behavioral Health Department and get advice on what to do.
They hooked me up with a psychologist and he told me how to confront my son. So I told my son I wasn’t feeling well and that I needed a ride home. (Just to refresh your memory we work together and he gets off at 5:30pm and I get off at 10:00pm).

On our ride home (it was payday) he kept saying “I hope my check is there”. I kept thinking, “I bet you do”. I tried to get him to stop for a quick dinner because that is what was suggested, to confront him in a public place. But he was not going for it. So we went straight home, yes his check was in the mail.

As soon as we got in the house I had him sit down and I told him what I had found, just as matter of fact as I could, without emotion, without accusations and with much concern. I told him I loved him and we can get through this. At first he got all mad and went into his room and complained about not having any privacy. He walked to the front door to leave to cash his check and I was able to get out “will you be back tonight”? He said “yes” and left.

His buddies live about 40 minutes away so I figured he would cash his check and go there. But within 90 minutes the door opened and he walked in, sat down on the couch and said, “Mom I have a problem, I’m addicted to Heroin”. He just sat there and cried. I held onto him and cried with him and I told him that we would fix it, I would help him and so this began our journey to detox. This all took place Thursday before last. August 30, 2007. I will never forget that date. It now feels like time has stood still since then.

I hate to do this but there is definitely going to have to be a part III to my story. I promise I will finish the rest tomorrow.

I’m looking forward to your comments….
Virginia
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
if affordability is an issue, the family I am speaking about had to put their son on SSI as this is considered a disability.
My son has very good insurance and he did check into a rehab. I will get to that part of the story tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and thoughts... I really do appreciate it.

V.