Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Spouses & Significant Others

Old September 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Vavoom is on a distinguished road
Last names

I'm curious as to why some people are so adamant that a woman MUST change her name upon marriage. I've been exposed to different cultures where name changes aren't that important and the kids use both last names.
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM

1DH+4Kids=Happyus will become famous soon enough
Re: Last names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vavoom View Post
I'm curious as to why some people are so adamant that a woman MUST change her name upon marriage. I've been exposed to different cultures where name changes aren't that important and the kids use both last names.
I changed mine out of convenience... my maiden name was unpronounceable...

I have 2 sisters who kept their maiden names.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I kept my maiden name when DH and I got married for professional reasons ~ I was licensed under my maiden name and had built a professional reputation. DH and FIL had no problem with it, MIL just about had a coronary. She was so stressed out about it.

In fact, DH seriously considered changing HIS unpronounceable last name to my very "white bread" last name. He decided not to because he thought it might kill his mother.

I did eventually change my name once I quit work to be a SAHM. I think either way is FINE.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

I think it's a personal choice.
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road

i took DHs name, but recently with the problems with the ILs ive considered changing to my maiden, and ive spoken toDH about changing his name simply because FIL shares the same first and last name, and has in the past used that to do illegal things in DHs name to get at us.

But DH loves his last name, so wont change it.
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:46 PM

oneluckyman is on a distinguished road

I think the wife should be able to choose whether or not she wants to change her last name. Whether you change your name or not, it has nothing to do with how much you care for your spouse.
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM

FLAlady is on a distinguished road

I had every intention of changing my last name but didn't do so right away. My ILs had a fit when four months after the wedding my driver's license didn't reflect a change. They knew this b/c DH and I had a business trip with a relative and my name caused a big problem with the airline ticket. IMHO, they are lucky I ever changed it to associate myself with them! I should have kept my maiden name. I'm a writer and if (and when) I publish, it will be my maiden name I use.
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough

When I got married my name was hyphenated. It took me a year to change my drivers license. I kept our phone in my maiden name, namely because FIL was the school psychologist for our school district and we would get phone calls at all hours from people looking for him. MIL thought this was great (she too got phone calls even though they were divorced for years). Neither of my inlaws could have cared less what name I used.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM

wolfgal is on a distinguished road

I think taking the husbands name was just always tradition, but now it seems to be a personal choice. I took my DHs name, but should have kept mine because it was much easier to spell and pronounce!
I have also noticed some men are very strong believers in their name being the family name no ifs, ands, or buts about it!
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM

mum of three is on a distinguished road

I was torn about what I was going to do when we get married. As we have 3 children I have one from a previous and we have 2 together. At first I was not gonna change my name as I did not want our eldest to be the only one who has my maiden name as a surname and I was concerned about school. Then I realised by the time we get married ( 2009 ) she will only have 2 years of school left but the youngest will still have most of theirs to come. that is what swung it for me as I didn't want to be going to the school under a different surname than my children. My eldest has told me she wants to change her surname so we told her it fine. If she still wants to when we get married she can do if she doesn't its not big deal.