Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 7th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Lilbit Lilbit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Powhatan VA
Posts: 2
Lilbit is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Women with anxiety disorders

Hi I just wanted to see if anyone on here has an anxiety disorders. Im not looking for a therapist (I have one). I just wanted to see if anyone suffers from a form anxiety while driving? Im trying to overcome this and haven't been persistent with it. Not much to do here unless you have money and right now im broke. Im set up to drive a mile further than I did to where I got comfortable driving to. Im trying to set goals for myself and one of them is to make it 20 minutes away by this summer. So far I've gone about 10 minutes away. Sorry Im rambling again, i guess Im just looking for someone that can relate to me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:10 AM
chissus's Avatar
chissus chissus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 43
chissus is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbit View Post
Hi I just wanted to see if anyone on here has an anxiety disorders. Im not looking for a therapist (I have one). I just wanted to see if anyone suffers from a form anxiety while driving? Im trying to overcome this and haven't been persistent with it. Not much to do here unless you have money and right now im broke. Im set up to drive a mile further than I did to where I got comfortable driving to. Im trying to set goals for myself and one of them is to make it 20 minutes away by this summer. So far I've gone about 10 minutes away. Sorry Im rambling again, i guess Im just looking for someone that can relate to me.
Hi Lilbit, I hate driving. When I must do an errand if there are 3 mistakes that cause me anxiety I go home. I count other driver's mistakes not just mine in that too. I always drive with my right hand at my throat. Somehow I must find that self-comforting. I've never been in a major accident just a fender bender. Have you been in a major accident?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Rebecca's Avatar
Rebecca Rebecca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 38
Rebecca is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Hi Lilbit, I understand what you're talking about. I have an anxiety disorder and the panic attacks that go with it. I don't drive, I can't bring myself to. So, I have much respect for you for setting these goals.

oh, and I'm also a crazy cat lady
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Tinkerbell13 Tinkerbell13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 10
Tinkerbell13 is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Hi Lilbit, I have generalized anxiety disorder and driving on the highway scares the bejeezies out of me. I'm ok on surface streets (I live in a major city) where the speed limit is never about 35, but the highway? Forget it! People whizzing by at 100mph and texting! No way! If I have to do any highway driving at all I have to take meds beforehand and I'm still a nervous wreck the whole time. And if the drive is over an hour I typically won't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:15 PM
heartbeat's Avatar
heartbeat heartbeat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4
heartbeat is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

I have GAD. I tend to feel anxious and self-conscious all the time whenever I am at outdoors, less so around strangers and more so around acquaintances like my boss and coworkers, because strangers I'll never see them again but acquaintances I'll see them every day and they also tend to judge me the hardest, and of course I'll often feel this way around my own family too because my family tend to be very judgemental of me.

The only people who doesn't make me feel this way are people who are non-judgemental and accepting of me and doesn't try to fix me in any ways. But such people literally doesn't exist in this world, so.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:11 AM
LucyVanPelt's Avatar
LucyVanPelt LucyVanPelt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,693
LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Welcome, heartbeat. I hope the internet has been a source of support for you. There are many people who use this as a way to cope. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:13 AM
chissus's Avatar
chissus chissus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 43
chissus is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Hi Lilbit, I understand what you're talking about. I have an anxiety disorder and the panic attacks that go with it. I don't drive, I can't bring myself to. So, I have much respect for you for setting these goals.

oh, and I'm also a crazy cat lady
Hi Rebecca, Panic attacks are the worst. I don't have them but I've read about them. When I have enough anxiety I immediately leave the situation. If I can't get away. like when one of my cats is dying, I eat until I feel sick. Feeling sick over-rides feeling anxious. What do you do to get out of a panic attack?

>^..^<
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:18 AM
chissus's Avatar
chissus chissus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 43
chissus is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat View Post
I have GAD. I tend to feel anxious and self-conscious all the time whenever I am at outdoors, less so around strangers and more so around acquaintances like my boss and coworkers, because strangers I'll never see them again but acquaintances I'll see them every day and they also tend to judge me the hardest, and of course I'll often feel this way around my own family too because my family tend to be very judgemental of me.

The only people who doesn't make me feel this way are people who are non-judgemental and accepting of me and doesn't try to fix me in any ways. But such people literally doesn't exist in this world, so.....
I hate social occasions like dinners or holiday parties that I can't get out of. I always get drunk before I even leave my house to stop the anxiety. Self-medicate, they call it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:30 PM
victorious victorious is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 26
victorious is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

I used to have social anxiety with people I didn't know so I can relate to anxiety for sure. Unfortunately I can't relate to the driving anxiety but have a colleague who gets so anxious when driving especially when it rains and snows. Here it snows a lot so winter is tough for her. It gets to the point where she constantly tries to pawn off rides if snow is on the ground or the forecast calls for rain. She won't see anybody for it so I think the fact that you set goals is great and will help you cope with your anxiety. I used to take it one day at a time and I think that works in your situation too. Hope I've helped.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Rebecca's Avatar
Rebecca Rebecca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 38
Rebecca is on a distinguished road
Re: Women with anxiety disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chissus View Post
Hi Rebecca, Panic attacks are the worst. I don't have them but I've read about them. When I have enough anxiety I immediately leave the situation. If I can't get away. like when one of my cats is dying, I eat until I feel sick. Feeling sick over-rides feeling anxious. What do you do to get out of a panic attack?

>^..^<
Sometimes exercising (yoga and meditation) through it helps but most of the time I just have to ride it out. They can last anywhere from 15 minutes to all day.

Has anyone found that their anxiety gets worse when they get hot?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anxiety, panic disorder, ptsd

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007, The BlueSparks Network