Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old September 12th, 2007, 10:48 AM

1DH+4Kids=Happyus will become famous soon enough
Um.. Banning the US flag????

High School Bans American Flag

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2007 - 11:56 PM Updated: 12:54 PM

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C. – On the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, students at one high school were not allowed to wear clothes with an American flag.

Under a new school rule, students at Hobbton High School are not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The new rule stems from a controversy over students wearing shirts bearing flags of other countries.

Gayle Langston said her daughter, Jessica, was told to remove her Stars and Stripes t-shirt.

“Today she wanted to wear her shirt, and I had to tell her no,” said Langston. “She didn't like it at all because I knew it would get her in trouble. Of all days, 9/11, she could not wear her American Flag shirt.”

The superintendent of schools in Sampson County calls the situation unfortunate, but says educators didn’t want to be forced to pick and choose which flags should be permissible.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road
Re: Um.. Banning the US flag????

why is it a controversy to wear an item with a flag...?
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

I understand why they did this. I don't necessarily agree with it but if they let some wear flags they can't say no to others - that's discrimination. So they are taking a stand they don't want other nation's flags being worn to school so they ban them all, even our own. Sad, but true.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerofinsults View Post
I understand why they did this. I don't necessarily agree with it but if they let some wear flags they can't say no to others - that's discrimination. So they are taking a stand they don't want other nation's flags being worn to school so they ban them all, even our own. Sad, but true.
That's like saying no one can wear their favorite team jersey to a home ballgame though....

I think it is dumb.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the controversy is about wearing an item with the flag. I think the educators probably didn't want to be put in the position of having to choose what's acceptable and what's not acceptable.

One person wears a t-shirt with a flag on it. The next person wears a t-shirt with a flag with a red circle and a line through it (as in "No flags"). Both are exercising their rights to free speech. But then people find the second t-shirt offensive and insensitive and complain to the administration. The administration can't ban the "No flags" t-shirt because that'd be allowing one opinion and not the other. They have to ban BOTH.

I get confused. I'm just glad I can wear MY favorite t-shirt which has a Texas flag and the slogan "Life is Good".
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM

but i dont get why any flags are banned, how is wearing a different nations flag offensive? i mean...the kid might be FROM that country, or have relatives who live there, heck it would be better used by the school as a teaching opportunity, to teach about that country!
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandsala View Post
but i dont get why any flags are banned, how is wearing a different nations flag offensive? i mean...the kid might be FROM that country, or have relatives who live there, heck it would be better used by the school as a teaching opportunity, to teach about that country!
Can't answer that one...

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM

yeah its got me stumped too..
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandsala View Post
You're not thinking about the 2 parents that are going to complain which leaves the school liable. The other posters is correct about the flag with the circle around it, etc. no logos of any kind. Schools have laws to abide by and some of them are about discrimination, whereas rivalry at a sporting event is not considered discrimination.

I'm explaining the thought process behind the scenes of these kinds of decisions, not stating them as my opinion.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM

oh i understand dodger, i know how severely weird some people can get about schools, ive seen that, like how they are banning tag. I knew some parents like ones that would complain about stupid stuff, like tag, or wearing the color red (yes that was an actual complaint, they said it was too violent, so the kids werent allowed to have red colored uniform dress shirts, just blue and white.), these parents literally treated their 8 year old like a 4 year old, he couldnt tie his shoes or get himself dressed, i refused to allow my DS to play with him because the parents freaked out if DS so much as touched him during a game (like grabbed his arm to show him something), and wrestling and running at all were out out out (yes running, they didnt allow their son to run "he might fall!", he was overweight as a result of no exercise). It made me sad to see.