Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old September 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM

suzanne is on a distinguished road
How do you think we should treat others on this board?

I don't know how you all feel but I hope we can have differences of opinions and not get upset with the other person for their opinions.

Anyone?
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM

1DH+4Kids=Happyus will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you think we should treat others on this board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
I don't know how you all feel but I hope we can have differences of opinions and not get upset with the other person for their opinions.

Anyone?
Speak in I terms... as in: - - This is what worked/did not work for us when...
Don't speak in "people terms" Well, some people do this that and the other thing.

None of us can speak for "people" we can only speak for ourselves.

We do well when we compromise -however Sometimes there is room for compromise, Sometimes there is not. It is knowing when compromise is appropriate and when retreat is more applicable. (And yes - I realize - I don't always know when to retreat.)

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Another Disheartened DIL is on a distinguished road

I agree. I think responding constructivly when you disagree with a post/story/viewpoint would be much better received than dismissing that particular problem or blasting someone.

I try to remember when I respond, that poster probably hasn't painted their entire picture in the post. It's easy to forget that the complete strangers on this board don't already know what you live daily or what you mean when you say something in a certain way.

I find it best to keep an open mind and think before I post. If I really disagree with something I see and I don't have anything constructive to say, I don't say anything.
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Another Disheartened DIL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bait the other posters....is that de-valuing? Shoot, I think I've been the one baited. I feel de-valued.

I missed somthing I guess??
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Knows Love Can Endure

Berlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Anyone?
Opinions are one thing but dishonesty & stating someone's problem or concern to be ridiculous and not important are just two examples of behavior that may be likely to upset other posters...
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Vavoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
Opinions are one thing but dishonesty & stating someone's problem or concern to be ridiculous and not important are just two examples of behavior that may be likely to upset other posters...
How can u know if someone is being honest or dishonest on this forum?
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Knows Love Can Endure

Berlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vavoom View Post
How can u know if someone is being honest or dishonest on this forum?
Sometimes it's so blatant, it's ridiculous......
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM

FLAlady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
Calling someone dishonest will probably have the same result, don't you think?

If you think someone is always being dishonest on the forum, and you have already told the person, what's the point in repeating your viewpoint every time they post?

To me it's suspicious when a poster posts only when their adversary is online. I only need to say that once.
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Anyone?
Suzanne, you make this statement after you've posted such things as:

Quote:
Please, listen to me.....I have years on you. I hope and pray that this is the worst thing that ever happens to you. Believe me, this is not worth it.
Quote:
No, that still is not the worst. I hope her climbing in is not the worst you ever have happen.
The first one is very condescending, I don't think age matters but wisdom certainly does. In the second quote is this a typo? Are you wishing this poster bad things in the future? You say you hope her climbing in is NOT the worst thing

I personally feel that when posters refer to Suzanne as Marylou you not only bring another forum into this one, you also leave the rest of us feeling like there's a clique we're not a part of. In addition it shows alot of disrespect towards Suzanne because maybe she didn't want that story to follow her here. It's possible she was angry when she was posting in another forum and she's come here for other reasons but now it's exposed here.

I think if we follow a story from another forum and know more details than other posters, let those that want to know ask questions. It's not our jobs to tell things on the forum that weren't ours to tell in the first place.
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM

FLAlady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerofinsults View Post
The first one is very condescending, I don't think age matters but wisdom certainly does. In the second quote is this a typo? Are you wishing this poster bad things in the future? You say you hope her climbing in is NOT the worst thing

I personally feel that when posters refer to Suzanne as Marylou you not only bring another forum into this one, you also leave the rest of us feeling like there's a clique we're not a part of. In addition it shows alot of disrespect towards Suzanne because maybe she didn't want that story to follow her here. It's possible she was angry when she was posting in another forum and she's come here for other reasons but now it's exposed here.

I think if we follow a story from another forum and know more details than other posters, let those that want to know ask questions. It's not our jobs to tell things on the forum that weren't ours to tell in the first place.
I don't think Suzanne was trying to be condescending. I read it that she was saying, looking back on her life, which is obviously longer than the 30 something moms, a conflict about Santa was a relatively minor complaint. I think the bigger problem here is "when ILs ignore parents' wishes" on any topic.

Secondly, dodger (can I call you that for short? ), if there is a clique, not all of us are part of that.