Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old November 4th, 2015, 04:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: quilting

Congratulations!!

DD's university happens to have the same school colors as her high school. I'm going to have a quilt made of her uniforms and old t-shirts for her. But notice that I didn't say I was going to make it.
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:35 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Well Done Snafu!
Old January 16th, 2016, 06:33 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

my sewing machine has issues - the bottom thread keeps looping - I've had it repaired once (the tension does not remain consistent) and it went back to looping again.

I've been looking at new machines and the sewing store had them on sale (I decided to think about it). IF they are still on sale I'd like to get one (they come with a 10 year guarantee, free lessons, and assistance if you have questions) - the ones at "Super Store" are cheaper but have a 60-90 day guarantee, and that's it.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the machines that are still in use that are 30, 40, 50 years old are Bernina, Janome or Elna, if you ask around.

Suggest you compare the new ones to the old ones, and check the power and smoothness for going through denim hems etc, if you ever hem jeans.

- Mum got burned many years ago by believing a sales man, who told her a cheap brand new machine would be much better than her old machine (a Bernina, which needed a new motor). The sales man would not have got a commission for repairing the old one, but he was happy to take it as part payment for the rubbish machine she got instead. (!) That new machne, which cost about the same as the repair on the Bernina, only lasted a couple of years. Did curtains for one small house, and a couple of dresses then got discarded. Very expensive curtains. Expensive mistake.
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:09 PM

ps, do they still teach sewing in US schools? - If so, check out what brands they use, because those machines get hammered. If they can cope with that sort of use, then they ar built to last.
Old November 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on attempting quilting again (eep)

wish me luck

Old December 4th, 2016, 02:04 PM
future crazy cat lady

I discovered, via another forum, that I probably need to adjust the tension on the bobbin thread .... eeep

I'm hoping to quilt and not have the bottom thread loop ....

Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:26 AM
future crazy cat lady

Turns out I wound the bobbin wrong...wish I'd figured that out years ago