Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Hobbies and Crafts

Hobbies and Crafts A place for crafting and other hobbies

Old May 24th, 2016, 05:20 AM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough
Gardening Question

Since some of you all are gardeners, have any of you tried things like manure tea or other similar homemade and compost-y concoctions on your plants? I found one "tea" recipe on Pinterest that uses eggshells and coffee grounds and though I'd try it on some houseplants and outdoor flowers and plants. I haven't gardened in earnest in years and we've just begun a flower bed with plans to do a small vegetable patch in the fall - getting the soil for that ready now.
Old May 24th, 2016, 08:38 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gardening Question

I would not try manure tea; I don't know if my stomach could handle it. When I had babies, I would use the innards of a "wet" diaper in the ground. Now I buy bagged organic compost on clearance in the fall and lay that on my beds, along with a layer of mulched leaves.

The coffee/egg shell thing sounds great, though! Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:08 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I use coffee "tea" on my potted hydrangeas just because I'm an oddball like that. The coffee turns the blooms blue, so if I throw my used coffee grounds (the lazy man's way of making tea) in the dirt, some blooms will come out both pink and blue.

Coffee grounds are also extremely useful for sprinkling on fire ant mounds. They HATE coffee. It doesn't kill them, but it makes them go elsewhere!
Old May 24th, 2016, 07:42 PM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input. I'm "brewing" some of the eggshell/coffee tea and will try it next week.

I got another load of horse manure from a stable today and put it in my raised bed planter, covered it with black cloth and will turn it regularly, adding some brown leafy clippings. I'm in USA zone hardiness zone 11b and learned that our planting season begins in Sept., so I have the summer to get it ready. In the meantime I'll experiment with the teas on the flower planter & houseplants.

That is so cool about the pink and blue hydrangeas and the coffee grounds!
Old May 25th, 2016, 06:08 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I use coffee "tea" on my potted hydrangeas just because I'm an oddball like that. The coffee turns the blooms blue, so if I throw my used coffee grounds (the lazy man's way of making tea) in the dirt, some blooms will come out both pink and blue.
My wife has Annabelle's (they're generally white) outside on the side of the house. Will coffee grounds give them a different color? Like blue or pink?
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:25 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea? Probably not, but you can try and see!
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road

I use coffee grounds on my blueberry bushes (on the ground surrounding the bushes) in the fall - it really does wonders for the following summer!
I have six blueberry bushes - my raspberry canes - well, not sure if they like the coffee grounds as much!