Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:13 AM

LadyLove will become famous soon enough
Family Dinners

Having dinner with your family is so important. The following is an excerpt from an article that I read:

Sharing family dinners sets the stage for us to value our family relationships, rather than take them for granted. Consistently having dinner together as a family also keeps us in touch, allowing us to trouble-shoot problems in daily living, as well as keeping us abreast of our family members' activities and life experience. It is in the family group that we develop an ability to discuss, to express our opinions, to be ourselves and allow others to be themselves. We feel less alone in the world when we know there are people who love and care about us, no matter what we are going through.

What kind of special meals do you prepare for family dinner time? And what are some of your favorite conversations to discuss with your children/spouse/relatives at the dinner table? Is this something that you like to do often (if not every day)?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road
Re: Family Dinners

We havent really ever done that, i didnt ever grow up with it, and DHs family dinners consisted of huge fights, screaming and at least 2 beatings every night for some retarded reason (like not eating your peas before you eat your meat, seriously, no joke), so DH really doesnt like them. Ive thought of starting doing it, but we are so laid back and when we do eat together its usually outside on the dock, or out at a park somewhere. We do all get into a puppy pile on the couch though and all read books, with DS2 usually using one of us as a couch to "read" his own book or nap.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

We have family dinner almost every night. It was a hard habit to get into when the kids were little and DH was working so hard, but we're in the habit now. DH sometimes misses out, but usually we eat fairly late so we can include him.

We don't talk too much about our days though. I don't know why. I guess I've already been with the kids for a few hours after school by the time dinner gets on the table and there's not much left to talk about.

Whenever we get stuck on conversation, we'll play a game... "Guess which state I'm thinking about" or "I'm thinking of a vegetable between A and Z" (Yes, we're nerds! )

The food doesn't matter as much as the fact that we're all sitting at the table. We get pizza once per week and to-go food more often than we should. Almost everything I make is quick and easy... spaghetti, grilled chicken... that kind of thing.

I really enjoy having everyone at the table together. I'm not sure my DH and the kids like it. DH and DS usually scarf their food in five minutes and jump up from the table.

ETA: Pandsala - my DH hated family dinners when he was growing up too. There were no beatings involved (GASP!) but my DH hated being at the table with his M and S. I had a much more pleasant experience in my FOO fortunately.

Last edited by KayKay; September 22nd, 2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Wanted to respond to Pandsala too
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
We have family dinner almost every night. It was a hard habit to get into when the kids were little and DH was working so hard, but we're in the habit now. DH sometimes misses out, but usually we eat fairly late so we can include him.

We don't talk too much about our days though. I don't know why. I guess I've already been with the kids for a few hours after school by the time dinner gets on the table and there's not much left to talk about.

Whenever we get stuck on conversation, we'll play a game... "Guess which state I'm thinking about" or "I'm thinking of a vegetable between A and Z" (Yes, we're nerds! )

The food doesn't matter as much as the fact that we're all sitting at the table. We get pizza once per week and to-go food more often than we should. Almost everything I make is quick and easy... spaghetti, grilled chicken... that kind of thing.

I really enjoy having everyone at the table together. I'm not sure my DH and the kids like it. DH and DS usually scarf their food in five minutes and jump up from the table.

ETA: Pandsala - my DH hated family dinners when he was growing up too. There were no beatings involved (GASP!) but my DH hated being at the table with his M and S. I had a much more pleasant experience in my FOO fortunately.

my mom hated family dinners too, thats why we never had them when i was growing up, hers were similar to DHs with the screaming fights every night. I dont honestly think ive met someone in real life that either had family dinners or had good ones.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandsala View Post
my mom hated family dinners too, thats why we never had them when i was growing up, hers were similar to DHs with the screaming fights every night. I dont honestly think ive met someone in real life that either had family dinners or had good ones.
That's sad.

It might be different with your family though, kwim? You guys actually love each other!

What about restaurants... how does your family do at restaurants?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM

1DH+4Kids=Happyus will become famous soon enough

We have dinner as a family at least 2 times per week - as a sit down.

We also have one night a week as "family night" in addition to dinner. And as our children are captive in the car with me for 45 minutes each way - to and from school - we ask them about their days.

Usually family night is "finger food" night - with a game or a movie.

PEOPLE - NOT SHEEPLE!
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DH+4Kids=Happyus View Post
And as our children are captive in the car with me for 45 minutes each way - to and from school - we ask them about their days.
We do this too!! My friends all listen to the radio, so their kids know all of the latest tunes and my kids are OUT OF IT, but we talk the whole way to and from school. (It's only about 25 minutes for us).
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
That's sad.

It might be different with your family though, kwim? You guys actually love each other!

What about restaurants... how does your family do at restaurants?

we do good at resturants, we talk and have some fun, my kids are pretty well behaved at a public place, and if we end up going to a kid-centric place we usually end up out doing the games with the kids. We just usually do our own thing at home.

i dont think we will ever do sit down dinners lol, we just dont have the dicipline, and we all pretty much scarf our food so we can do other stuff, we usually talk to DS1 about school just casually during the night unless he has a special issue that needs dealing with.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandsala View Post
We havent really ever done that, i didnt ever grow up with it, and DHs family dinners consisted of huge fights, screaming and at least 2 beatings every night for some retarded reason (like not eating your peas before you eat your meat, seriously, no joke), so DH really doesnt like them. Ive thought of starting doing it, but we are so laid back and when we do eat together its usually outside on the dock, or out at a park somewhere. We do all get into a puppy pile on the couch though and all read books, with DS2 usually using one of us as a couch to "read" his own book or nap.
You and your husband still have dinners together and that is what matters. Sitting by the dock sounds refreshing. And cuddling on the sofa is a favorite for me and my husband. We usually do that after dinner. Weekends is the best because we cuddle for a long time.

My MIL never did family dinners with her children so my husband grew up eating whenever he wanted. It took a while for him to get used to the dinner time schedule but he is into it now (although we only do it every other day or so. He is still getting used to it. LoL). Dinner here is at 6pm just like it was when I was a little girl. And conversations are always interesting (current events, how our day went, how our families are doing, etc).
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DH+4Kids=Happyus View Post
We have dinner as a family at least 2 times per week - as a sit down.

We also have one night a week as "family night" in addition to dinner. And as our children are captive in the car with me for 45 minutes each way - to and from school - we ask them about their days.

Usually family night is "finger food" night - with a game or a movie.
That sounds like fun. My children are still too little to do a family night. But when they get a bit older family night will be dinner and a movie, bowling, or mini golf or an evening spent at the Chuch E Cheese.