Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Weddings & kids

This is a spinoff of tp551's thread

What kids & wedding stories (the good, the bad, & the ugly) do you guys have? Include reception stories too - please.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weddings & kids

At my older sister's reception for her first wedding a young boy she'd babysat was NOT monitored & he grabbed some of the support posts between the cake tiers & pulled. Lucklily someone caught him before he pulled them out - but the cake had a list to it. My OS was NOT happy, nor was my mom.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM

tp551 is on a distinguished road

little monsters, some kids just can't be left unattended don't have any horror stories, but went to a cousin's wedding and the ring bearer (who was around 3 or 4) stood up at the altar growling the whole time, loudly enough for the first couple of pews to hear. When asked what he was doing, he replied "well, arent bear's supposed to growl?" Everyone got a really good laugh at it, even bride and groom. I believe he was the grooms nephew.
Too cute.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
future crazy cat lady

At my first wedding there were several kids (all family - none of our friends had kids yet). To make a long story short I told everyone that if any of the kids wanted to run up & join us during the ceremony that was fine - SIL was a bridesmaid & her kids were young & very attached to her - so was their cousin. I figured that if DH's nieces & nephew joined us, it would only be fair if my own nieces were given the same option.

Anyway -all the kids were well behaved and remined in thier seats - I think it would have been cute had they joined us.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

My sisters acted like big babies about my wedding... does that count?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM

Brownie is on a distinguished road

My DSD1 & SIL's wedding was in our front yard 15 years ago, with about 50 family members and close friends attending. The unusal highlights of the wedding include:

1. DSD1 selected a non-traditional wedding march which she recorded on a cassette tape. My eight year old nephew was responsible for hitting the play button on cue. His cue came, he hit the button and out came the "Goofy" song of the Disney fame that was recorded on the other side of the cassette. (The groom just stuck the tape in with out checking it since he checked it at home.) It was changed to the correct music after my young nephew ran away!

2. My three-year old GD1 was the flower girl. She was to lead the procession to the altar. As soon as she stepped out the front door, she started crying uncontrollable and ran screaming "I want my Grandma" all the way to the front row where I was. She sobbed on my shoulder for about 10 minutes before I could get her calmed down. (My corsage was totally crushed!

3. (This isn't kid related.) The plastic runner kept sticking to the heel of the bride's shoe as she walked down the aisle. After struggling for five or six steps, she declared good naturedly "Well, this wasn't such a good idea!" and walked on the grass.

4. My nine year old DS was part of the wedding party. He spent his time mouthing to the groom "Don't do it! Don't do it!" and making funny faces at the bride (his sister.) Bride and groom had a time controlling their laughter.

5. My five year old niece took a BIG taste of the frosting on the wedding cake. My sister (her mother) was absolutely mortified! The groom said that it wasn't proper to eat a cake if the frosting hadn't been propertly taste tested!!!

6. (This isn't kid related either.) The best-"man" was female!

DSD1 and SIL took it all in stride and enjoys relating these incidents. In fact, they insisted that the "Goofy" song be included on the wedding video!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM

Holy Cow, Brownie
Wow, you guys could've made funniest home videos with that.
I'm glad that the Groom and Bride took it all in stride and didn't let it ruin their wedding!!

I have another one, this doesn't involve kids. My in-laws didn't like me so much that when I came down the aisle, as everyone else stood and ooh'd and awe'd, they stood up and faced the wall!! I didn't let it get to me and when I stood up there saying my vows to him; I was facing his parents. I smiled the whole time staring at them.

Even adults can act like idiots sometimes
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM

Brownie is on a distinguished road

tp551,

I continue to be amazed at the conduct of adults. Good for you for not letting them intimidate you!!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM

yea, all they accomplished was making themselves look like asses!! Which every already they were