Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old April 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Girl Speak - aka what guys don't get

Is there anything that any/certain females can do & your DH doesn't get that she's been rude/insulting/manipulative (to you or anyone else)?

I've heard of DMs &/or MILs doing their DD's/DS's families laundry (thankfully I've never had that happen). What have you heard about or experienced?
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girl Speak - aka what guys don't get

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
I've heard of DMs &/or MILs doing their DD's/DS's families laundry (thankfully I've never had that happen). What have you heard about or experienced?
Hmmm, i'm on the fence about this one. Traditionally, there are lots of young people who don't live at home, but take their laundry home for their mother to do. That's then quite a fine line between doing it "to help out" later. I know there are times i would have LOVED someone to do the laundry for us.

(Why did that never happen?)
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:45 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Mrs. X!! My kids will be saying the same thing about me later in life. They are WELCOME to bring their laundry to my house to do THEMSELVES. I currently do between 15 and 20 full size loads a week. I'm tired of laundry and am looking forward to my "retirement". Sure... I'll move stuff from the washer to the dryer for them, or maybe fold a load here and there to prevent it from wrinkling. But I'm not going to continue being the maid once they're self-sufficient adults.

Of course, if they NEED help with laundry (i.e. illness or new baby) then I'll be glad to step in.

As to the OP, I haven't come up with too much. My DH speaks passive/aggressive fairly well. My MIL breaks it out on occasion, but DH "gets it" (sometimes better than me) so she isn't that bad. The only thing that DH ISN'T good with is sticking close by to help prevent it.

DH doesn't understand girl bullying very well either. I had two separate instances where I got girl bullied (by 40-something year old women ) in the same manner, and DH was lost. Both my SIL and my XF jumped at opportunities to steal my seat when I got up for a moment. (SIL at a restaurant and XF at a basketball game). DH didn't catch on to the bullying behind both of those seemingly innocent instances. Not that the seats had my name on it (I lose seats often... no big deal...) but in those cases they were deliberate acts of girl bullying.

Last edited by KayKay; April 29th, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Brownie is on a distinguished road

KayKay,

Junior High (7th grade) in our house marked a major change for our kids. It was then that they began doing their own laundry (clothes, bedding, towels) and opened their first checking account.

The laundry worked out well. This taught them how to do laundry and cut down on my workload. It also eliminated several of the conflicts that go with the laundry (try it on and toss it in the dirty clothes, clean clothes in a ball on the floor, etc.) Since DSD1 and DSD2 were so close in age, we did have to assign laundry days to avoid conflicts once DSD2 starting doing her own laundry. If they didn't have anything to wear, I told them to find the cleanest dirty thing (This only happened once with DSD2.)

The checking account was used to teach them to manage money. I tried to think of all the direct expenses I could for them for one year, divided by 12 and deposited that amount each month. Some of the item I included were lunches, clothing, personal care (hair cuts), health and beauty aides (shampoo, soap), etc. The goal was to give them as much money as reasonally possible to manage. (Results: DSD1 really can really "stretch" a dollar, DSD2 is terrible with finances, and DS does well with finances.)

As far as me doing someone else's laundry, I would be very hesitant as I would hate to ruin something by washing and/or drying it wrong.

I have never heard the term "Girl Bully" before; however, I have been a victim.

As far as OP, I really haven't been able to come up with anything. DH "gets" most of the female jabs.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

DH doesn't always get that if you tell someone soemthing like "NO, don't do _____, I'm taking care of it" and they ignore you & do it anyway they're not "helping" they are actually being disrespectful of your wishes.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of scary, and it *might* be difficult to ignore me, lol.
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

My DH is cool in this respect - he always "gets it", sometimes he gets it ahead of me - I can be quite slow!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara