Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old March 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Mouse is on a distinguished road
Have you an own house/flat?

In the films or documentions from USA, England, Austrialia, Canada and others I see not many flats the peopel live. I see they life in own (great) houses (sometimes own flats), but it's real and true? I don't think so...
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Have you an own house/flat?

Where I live, it varies. Not everyone has their own house. According to Wikipedia, in the U.S. about 68.9% of people live in a home they own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeown..._United_States

In my area, the percentage is closer to about 50%, but IMO it's because of the make-up of our population; homes in my city are very affordable. In places like New York City, where homes are tremendously expensive, the percentage is in the 35% range.

Anyone else?

ETA: Just to remind you... what you see on TV isn't always "real"
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, in the last 10 years or so, lower interest rates and banks being keen to lend ridiculous amounts to people without really considering affordability, it became easier to own your own home, for cheaper than you could actually rent. At least that was before the housing market boom which then led to such high housing prices that first time borrowers could not get on the ladder.

Now of course, there has been the housing price crash, where property prices have slumped and are no longer considered profitable. The global ecomonomic crises and banks now refusing to lend means that once again, more and more people are preferring (or are having no choice but) to rent rather than own.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

In New Zealand, home ownership has always been high, in the past up to 80 or 90%. But like everywhere else, with the lower wages and higher interst rates, home ownership in the big cities is well beyond the reach of many. Investing in domestic rental properties has become popular too, which drives rental prices up. Pretty hard for young people, even if they are on decent salaries.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough

In Ireland, home ownership has been huge with the majority of families with children opting for houses as against apartments. However apartments have been very popular in the last number of years with the younger new time buyers.

There is a recesssion here now and house prices have collapsed making it a sorry state for people who bought in the last few years at top prices and now find property is much less valued but their loans are huge.

It is only fairly recently that Ireland has built so many apartments.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

In Toronto Canada, it varies depending on where you live, but it is about half and half. Land is scarce in the city, so lot and lots of towering condos, and in those, lots of rentals. If you move out to the suburbs, home ownership is higher, but like the rest, the economy if forcing alot of for sale signs on the front lawns. The houses can be huge an hour away, but for the same amount of money, you'll get a tiny apartment downtown.
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
ETA: Just to remind you... what you see on TV isn't always "real"
Oh, is not and I thougt I could ask WALL-E and Spongebob over
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - I thought you were talking more about regular TV shows (like Jon and Kate plus 8 or other "reality" shows).

Why do you think people where you are rent more than buy Mouse? Are your rents cheaper than buying?
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
LOL - I thought you were talking more about regular TV shows (like Jon and Kate plus 8 or other "reality" shows).
One secret: I hate reality shows. They are so unreal, but I don't know Jon and Kate plus 8....

Quote:
Why do you think people where you are rent more than buy Mouse? Are your rents cheaper than buying?
I hope, I understand you right :

I think, for rapid are rents cheaper, because a lot people aren't millionaire or inherit/put money aside. But in the long run is an own house/flat cheaper. The point is in Germany a few people live in a own house/flat, most people live from the state or/and in most instances the job are direful or/and they are to be in dept. I had ask me, how is it in other countries....
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM

maximillion is on a distinguished road

I live in The Northern Territory, of Australia, things here are a little different to the rest of Aus'. Most people rent, either from the State or privately, and there are far more flats and units than houses, this place lives on the tourist industry. As in the rest of the world, prices have sky-rocketed, as have rents, and we are now the most expensive place to live in Australia, unfortunately for the low-paid, like me, lol.