Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old December 17th, 2020, 10:49 AM

cloudnine is on a distinguished road
Why am I depressed and worried?

Hey guys,

I hope all is going well with you guys.

Have you ever feel so lonely in this time of Covid19 lockdown? During the 1st few months, I am okay on lockdown but lately I am getting depressed and worried. I am worried about my family's health, our finances, our future. Is it we should be glad that there is already a vaccine, but I don't feel that way. I feel more anxious. I don't know why I am feeling this way I am really worried of what will happen tomorrow. How can we survive all of these things?

Did you also feel the same way? What did you do?
Old December 17th, 2020, 03:54 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why am I depressed and worried?

Feeling depressed and worried is a normal reaction to our experience. The holidays are approaching. In a good year, depression and worry are often triggered by the disparity between expectations and reality. This year, the reality is even worse. We are grieving.

Many of us can't go to church like we're used to. Our other support communities (schools, book clubs, etc.) can't meet without the added stress of safety protocols. Add to that the political atmosphere where we are so polarized. Who do you trust? What do you trust?

The wonderful thing about humanity is that we are resilient. We don't know what tomorrow holds, and we may even despair, but if we persevere, we will see better days.

I feel the same way you do at times and these are the steps I follow to practice self-care:
1) Get exercise! Getting your heart rate up will help manage the racing anxiety.

2) Do one thing on your to-do list every day. It doesn't have to be big. It can be as small as scrubbing the glass coffee pot. This will make you feel like you've accomplished something, even if you sit on the couch the rest of the day.

3) Monitor your tv intake! Turn off the news and talk shows and anything that causes you anxiety. For example, I hate that tv show "Mom" and it causes me great anxiety to watch it! Watch something that will make you laugh or feel good instead.

4) Every night when you go to bed, do a quick run through of your day. If you did something you wish you hadn't, resolve to not do it again and then purposely push it out of your mind by counting the blessings of the day. This way, you go to sleep with good thoughts.

5) If your mood continues to decline to the point that none of those things above are possible, speak to your primary doctor. You may be starting a mild depression and s/he should be able to help you.

Finally, continue to reach out like you just did. Recognizing those negative feelings and consciously trying to manage them is the most positive thing you can do for yourself.
Old December 17th, 2020, 10:12 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy is right.

We're here for you cloudnine. We're all in the same boat.

(((hugs)))
Old December 22nd, 2020, 01:03 PM

Thank you so much guys for the support, I am really not feeling good these past few days. I'll do some yoga too and lessen my tv intake.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 12:05 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudnine View Post
I'll do some yoga too and lessen my tv intake.
Very good! Give yourself the gift of self care. That is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 02:11 PM

I realized I need to take care of myself physically and mentally. I've read these anxiety reduction strategies https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-...ion-strategies and will put them into practice.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 03:02 PM

That's a great resource! Thank you for sharing!
Old December 29th, 2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
That's a great resource! Thank you for sharing!
It was shared with me by a friend, feel free to share it with someone you know who is experiencing anxiety.
Old January 4th, 2021, 08:06 AM

aminoapple is on a distinguished road

one of the important things I learned from this pandemic is to take care of my body, I exercise regularly and get plenty of sleep, eat well, take deep breaths and meditate.
Old January 4th, 2021, 11:36 AM

My friends are also telling me to try meditation and deep breathing