Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old March 24th, 2017, 12:48 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tough decision to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I drove her home. First she was upset and couldn't even talk. Then an ambulance passed by and she said, "You know, I'm not in that ambulance. My car didn't die on the highway and cause a large accident. I have just enough to cover the repairs. My rent and utilities are paid. I have food in the fridge. I'll get paid again next week. I'm good."
I love your friend's attitude. The dealership told me (and maybe they didn't say it, but this was my takeaway) that my car is close to the point where the engine will refuse to start because the brakes are at the point of failing. So I feel very fortunate that I found that out before I was somewhere needing to be somewhere else urgently. And I'm very fortunate that my DD is at college and I can use her car.

The good news is that DH is on board and has started identifying good replacement cars for me.

K2L, maybe I should have a wake. Many years ago I had a Suburban that I bought new when my kids were toddlers. It was a tank. I put 120,000 miles on that car and had it for 10 flawless years (seriously, NO repairs, NO breakdowns, not even a flat tire) and I LOVED it. DH spent years trying to convince me to drive something smaller and I couldn't find anything I liked better. One day someone rear-ended me at a stoplight (completely their fault) and I had a small dent in my (heavy steel) bumper. The hood of their car was accordioned up to their windshield. I didn't even feel the impact, just heard it. I called DH and said "I decided on my next car." I bought the same exact Suburban, color combination and everything, in the then-current model. I loved my old Suburban so much that I kept it. It sat in our driveway for probably another 4 years until I finally donated it to charity. I sobbed when it was loaded on the tow truck. So yes, a wake may be something I need. LOL. I definitely get attached to my cars.
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:57 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tough decision to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I love your friend's attitude. The dealership told me (and maybe they didn't say it, but this was my takeaway) that my car is close to the point where the engine will refuse to start because the brakes are at the point of failing. So I feel very fortunate that I found that out before I was somewhere needing to be somewhere else urgently. And I'm very fortunate that my DD is at college and I can use her car.
Me, too. She makes me appreciate every gift I have.

Quote:

The good news is that DH is on board and has started identifying good replacement cars for me.
Yay! You probably should replace it if you can.

And you should have a wake. Maybe an old fashioned Irish Wake? There's even a website dedicated to throwing them!

I don't think I want a "creative funeral idea" for a person, but for a car? Why not!