Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:29 AM

girlforever101 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy New lil one in family?

Hi everyone, new to the forum! So abt 9 mths back my mom's brother( uncle) and his wife had a baby girl. I like my cousin alot, but since we meet them often, I tend to feel left out because no one ever speaks to me or asks me how I'm doing. Everyone is around the baby, and there is no problem with that because it is a baby, though I feel hurt when my own parents and aunt and uncle don't talk to me! But mainly I feel upset if it is my aunt. Although we aren't blood related, my aunt and I have been very close. We had sleepovers and would go out for icecream and shopping. It'd be so much fun to hang out with her and get to know her better. I eventually forgot that we weren't even blood related now when I go there for sleepovers and all, yea she does talk to me and give me hugs and all, but I don't feel the same.
I hate to say it, but I feel I'm jealous that my aunt isn't giving me attention. She gives sweet talk and is always playing with her kid and giving it kisses and hugs and sometimes I feel I shouldn't be there. I miss the love I got from relatives and especially her. Recently I've been starting to always look to the past and I tend to compare life from then to now. I feel she just might hate me now? I go to their place and I feel unloved by everyone and I really miss good times with her and my uncle. It was a special feeling! How should I deal with this? Any advice?? Please don't say anything mean I really feel sad. Thank you
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:15 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New lil one in family?

Sending you some virtual hugs, girlforever101.

You aunt doesn't hate you at all! The fact that she still has you come over for sleepovers when she has a baby (they are EXHAUSTING!) shows that.

You are still loved very much. Love isn't a limited thing, where people only have so much to give. You will still have good times with your aunt and uncle, but they will be different good times. Right now, since the baby is so young, it's not quite as much fun for you to interact with her. Wait until she starts walking and talking - oh, boy! You'll have a lot of fun!

Babies are kind of "all-consuming." Everything that baby does is new to your aunt and uncle, and they're kind of in awe. (At least I was when my first baby was born). They change so much so fast, so that when your family meets up with them (even if it has only been a week) there is so much to catch up on - which is why you don't get much attention. Believe it or not, everyone was this gaga over you when YOU were a baby.

Just be patient. As the baby gets older, you'll start getting some of the attention back. If you get to know your little cousin as she grows, your aunt will want you around ALL of the time to help her out!