Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old March 14th, 2017, 02:52 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Tough decision to make

I have a 2010 model year car that I have had since early 2011, so 6+ years at this point. I have put over 100,000 miles (161,000km) on it and I love it. I typically keep my cars at least 10 years.

It is a performance sedan. Vroom vroom! The problem with performance sedans (I knew and anticipated) was that their maintenance and repairs are expensive. I have accepted that for 6+ years and 100,000 miles, never shirking a needed repair or maintenance.

But now the car dealer tells me that it needs a rather large repair - my brakes are just about shot so I need new rotors and pads. My car model has specialized rotors and pads, very expensive rotors and pads. The pads and rotors would cost roughly 30% of my car's blue book value.

So now I'm torn. While I would really like invest the money to keep my car for another 4 years, realistically I can only expect further expensive repairs. I had to have the onboard computer replaced about 6 months ago (cha-ching) and being someone who typically keeps cars a long time, I know that as they age, the needed repairs come fast and furious.

What do other people do? How do other people make this decision? I sure like my car, and wouldn't feel right spending the money on its current model. So I will be downgrading. I will still be driving a nice car, but my current one is one of life's little pleasures to me; an understated, boring almost, sedan that hauls buns when you press the accelerator.

I think I get too attached to my cars. LOL.
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:08 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tough decision to make

I have a very old car with almost 175K miles on it. I spend 30-50% of it's value on it every year because it's not worth much. I still get excellent mileage and the major things have already been repaired. I figure that the amount I'm spending on keeping it running is much less then the cost of a new car that I wouldn't like as much.
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:22 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

True. I guess where I'm stuck is that the first "new" (versus new-to-me) car I ever bought was a lemon and was a major repair every 2 months back when DH and I couldn't afford to buy a more reliable one. I just don't know if that would be throwing good money after bad, kwim? Yes, I really like my car and would like to keep driving it, but I think it might be more fiscally responsible to throw in the towel early.

As DH said, most cars will "nickel-and-dime" you as they age. This one will "tens-and-twenties" us.
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:50 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

There's no guarantee with any car. Recalls and lemon laws are better today, but you still lose so much value the first year of ownership. A certified used might be good, but I think you pay extra for it, and I'm still a little wary about what might go wrong.

Mine is definitely "nickel and dime!" I know I'll have to replace it eventually, but I want to wait until it's dead. Maybe it will last long enough for me to move to Society Hill and then I can just walk, use uber, or the subway!
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:28 AM

DH and I have been buying certified used for the last several cars. We like to let other people take the depreciation hit of the first year. LOL. Mine is a certified used (bought with 1,000 miles on it) and DD's is certified used. DS's original car was certified used but ended up having major problems which was worked on for free until after the fifth attempt at repair (which involved rebuilding the engine a few times) we gave up and traded it in.

Funny, I think I'd rather spend money on a new reliable car to drive 15,000-20,000 miles per year than live somewhere with a subway. LOL. Texans. SMH
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:51 PM

JemStar is a splendid one to beholdJemStar is a splendid one to behold

Mine is 15 years old and sort of a vroom vroom but I didn't go for the pricey package add-ons. No low profile tires, no sun roof, no bad *** monsoon radio/disc player, etc.

Has about 132,000 and it needs an air conditioner pump. If I use the A/C without having $650 repair, I could lose my belts on EVERYTHING.

But I've bonded with this car and I think: $650 or $15,000+ for new old one?

Looks like a/c thing is in its future.

And, like KayKay - I am attached to it. It helps me "get away."
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:01 AM
loves FRIDAYS!!!

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving a 1999 Dodge Truck. Bought it used about 15 years ago (traded it in last December). It was reliable, but I started putting more and more repair work into it the last two years. The oil leaks from worn seals was the deciding factor - those can be expensive repairs. Had it been not for that issue I would probably still be driving it.

It's just a matter of how much do you think you're going to have to spend keeping it in reliable condition each year at this point.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:03 AM

My DH is on his second Dodge truck. He loves it. Unfortunately, I think he loves it because it is such a low maintenance vehicle and he can ignore it far longer than he should unlike the way he babies the German sports cars. His last truck's engine seized up and died driving through a busy intersection. Hmmm. Should have gotten those recommended oil changes.

I have been diligent about getting my car's scheduled maintenance. Just normal service things like changing fluids and air filters is expensive. My last one, two weeks ago, was close to $900 and the more mileage the car gets the more frequent and extensive routine service becomes. I had to have the onboard computer replaced last year (controls things like cruise control) to the tune of $1400, and when I brought the car in for the routine service I told them a couple of warning signs I recognized from the first time the computer went out. Sure enough, the computer had something wrong and they fixed it for free since it was still under warranty. Besides the brakes and rotors needing to be fixed, apparently the wheels are made out of aluminum foil because yet ANOTHER one is bent and needs to be repaired and a new tire to replace the one that has worn because of the bent wheel.

I love my car, but it is showing signs of becoming a money pit.
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:53 AM

My poor BFF--

Because she received her income tax check, she took her car in for some repairs that she had been limping through. The mechanic made the repairs, told her it would be $X, and she could pick it up shortly. Then he called back a half-hour later.

When they took the car for a test drive, the transmission blew. (Very old car, lots of mileage, maintenance was based on what my friend could afford.)

She's lucky enough that her tax return will cover a new transmission, but she can't afford a car payment. She has no choice.

I drove her home. First she was upset and couldn't even talk. Then an ambulance passed by and she said, "You know, I'm not in that ambulance. My car didn't die on the highway and cause a large accident. I have just enough to cover the repairs. My rent and utilities are paid. I have food in the fridge. I'll get paid again next week. I'm good."

I could learn a lot from her!
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:04 AM
loves FRIDAYS!!!

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

High end cars are expensive for routine maintenance. I have a friend who used to have a BMW. His oil changes were $200 - $300 (so he told me). Brake jobs on Caddy's are ridiculous so I've heard. Knew a guy that worked out of his garage and repaired Mercedes' and made a pretty penny doing it, yet was still less expensive than the dealership. Funny... He drove a beat up VW that he got from a junk yard - His house looked like a shack you'd see in hillbilly land.

I guess... If you decide to give in and get another vehicle, you could have a wake for the car you're putting down. Invite family and friends, bake a cake and some cookies...