Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Old June 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Motivation - please help

I really, really need to motivate. How do you motivate?

I wanted to lose weight for years now (saw that looking thru old threads) - but I've been unsuccessful.

I had a yard sale & got rid of all my clothes that haven't fit for the past few years. (all single "digit" U.S. sizes AND some double "digit" sizes).

Today, an aquaintence asked if I was pregnant ( she was so embarrased - & I started looking into gyms - I'm going to try out a class tomorrow)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Motivation - please help

I'm not very good at motivating myself, sorry. About the only thing that motivates me is a small measure of success. So I don't make big plans of "I'm going to lift weights 5 times per week and eat nothing but lean protein." I make small, measurable plans. "THIS MORNING I am going to pass on the coffee cake and have a reasonable breakfast." "TODAY I will eat lunch later so I won't be as hungry in the afternoon." "THIS AFTERNOON I will drink a glass of water instead of eating an afternoon snack." That way when I *do* pass on the coffee cake, or wait until 1:00 to eat, or drink that glass of water, I feel "successful." I did it! That wasn't so bad. Maybe tomorrow I can....

Maybe I just spend too much of my day obsessing about food. Sorry I'm no help.
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

You already know the idea behind losing weight (...burn more calories than you take in).

Try to look at it in a different light... Instead of thinking of it as losing weight, try thinking about getting healthier. Obviously you have to exercise to get healthier. In order to get healthier you have to eat healthier. Therefore, once you make that conscious DECISION that you want to REALLY do this, then you'll achieve this goal.

Try this for starters...

1. Eat breakfast everyday. Forget the Trix, Fruity Pebbles and Tony the Tiger. Those are bad for you. Do the egg thing, toast and milk.

2. Do some simple exercises. You can search the internet for some simple exercises. I say "simple" because you probably won't do leg lifts, crunches and fast paced aerobics until you have enough stamina and strength to really do them and feel good. If you can't find any simple ones then make up some of your own... like toe touches, stretches (side-to-side). Start simple.

3. If you have a dog and a park then start walking your dog. If you have a motivation problem about doing this then try to force yourself. Start slow and try to make a habit of walking. Personally, I love to walk - it's free time to myself and I it allows me to think without distraction.

4. No more donuts, twinkies, coffee cake, chocolate covered peanuts, candy, ice cream, eclairs, chips & dips... all that good stuff is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y.

5. Snacks... Cellery, carrots, cucumbers... you get the idea. No dips allowed.

Just make up your mind to do it and you probably will. Healthy living is a habit people choose to make. New habits take to become a habit and I'll be honest... everyone gets lazy. I have an exercise regimen I do everyday (except weekends) and sometimes I just don't want to do it, but I do it anyway.

Set yourself a plan of what you are going to do and then think about it. After you've thought about how you're going to do this then start.

I read somewhere that it takes 21 times to make something a habit. I believe that.

I wish you the best snafu. I'll be cheering you on!
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying both KayKay's & Knot2loud's suggestions

For this month, I'm going to try to celebrate my little successes on an as I go basis. Additionally I am/have been changing my diet.

I've actually been eating somethings that are supposed to help detox your body (1 1/2 tsp. of flax seeds is good in yogurt- and vampires will stay away from me as I'm eating a fresh clove daily ).

I've aslo been trying to eat foods that are celluite "busters" (mainly fruits, but I'm going to try fennel bulbs).

Thing is, since I've started eating better I've felt both better & kind of ill. IMHO I think eating better is helping my body flush toxins out & that's what is making me feel ill. (same type of "ill" as when I've had the rare deap tissue massage)

Next month I'm planning on trying to track calories.

- I'm also checking out a gym that has exercise classes & DH is willing to go with me.

Old June 16th, 2011, 05:02 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
I'm also checking out a gym that has exercise classes & DH is willing to go with me.
That's awesome! Keep it up! You'll keep feeling better and better physically and you'll be surprised how it will make you feel about yourself!

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post

4. No more donuts, twinkies, coffee cake, chocolate covered peanuts, candy, ice cream, eclairs, chips & dips... all that good stuff is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. {snafu=}

5. Snacks... Cellery, carrots, cucumbers... you get the idea. No dips allowed.
{ha- no dip - I made dill dip with greek yogurt & I'm using pita crackers; plain greek yogurt = no sweetners added}

New habits take (time) to become a habit (snip) I read somewhere that it takes 21 times to make something a habit. I believe that.
21 DAYS!!! But, but.... that's 3 weeks - ...I thought it was 15 days (2 weeks) sigh

{snerk - but coke didn't taste good to me today....so I had less than a can}

Old June 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Keep going, snafu! I'm working on this getting fit over 40 thing myself. It's hard especially when I know the real payoff will come when I'm 60!
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Priscille will become famous soon enough

Yes!!! Keep going! The advice you got is great and YOU definitely can do it.

Also, keep posting your targets and celebrate your achievements.

Posting your targets will keep you accountable to us, so that you know other people are aware of them. Gives you an extra boost to achieve them.

Celebrating your achievements will keep you happy about doing this. And, of course, we can cheer with you!

Old June 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
future crazy cat lady

I've cut soda down to 1 can (or less) per day ; I'm still working on decreasing it (recently read where 1 soda a day can lead to diabetes - + my grandpa had diabetes too)

I'm not eating fast food

I'm not eating b-fast from Bread Co every moring (it was yummy)

According to the scale, I'm down 2-3 lbs. (I've been cutting down for at least 3 weeks or longer now)

Old June 20th, 2011, 01:58 AM

Priscille will become famous soon enough

GO! GO! GO! You rock!!!

Do you have a target weight? Or do you have a precise idea of how much you want to lose?