Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Knows Love Can Endure

Berlin is on a distinguished road
Weirdest Food

Was discussing this with DH last night.....

What's the weirdest food you've ever eaten?

Me - pickled beef tongue, chicken gizzards in gravy w/polenta
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weirdest Food

I guess mine would be snails. We had to have them, as we were holidaying in France! They tasted like extremely chewy garlic muchrooms, though I had to push the fact that they were snails right out of my head!
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of those "eyes of the beholder" things. While I would gag if I tried to eat a snail, my DH eats them every chance he gets! (Had some last Friday in fact!)

Things that I consider "weird" would be considered normal in other cultures. Haggis, for example. *shudder*.... nope, never eaten it.

When I lived in New Orleans, I ate alligator sausage at Pascal's Manale every chance I got. Yum.

A friend who was a hunter bagged a caribou on a trip to Alaska, and invited everyone for chicken-fried steak (caribou meat). I have also eaten buffalo, but a lot of people don't think that's weird.

I ate (and enjoyed!) seaweed once.

But many posters wouldn't find that odd. Personally, one of the weirdest foods I can imagine is one I eat regularly - artichoke hearts.
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:18 PM

FLAlady is on a distinguished road

I ate goat, by accident, at a resort in Jamaica. All of the food I ate in Jamaica had the same spices, so I didn't notice until told.
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Knows Love Can Endure

Berlin is on a distinguished road

I love artichoke hearts! I wouldn't want to eat snails, though, or goat and I hate wild game. When I was about 12 my dad brought home a bunch of meat and put it in the freezer. He called it "beefalo" - I guess it was a cow bred with a buffalo. I didn't like it much, but it was ground & we made burgers out of it so that was a little easier to take.

I forgot, I've also eaten raw octopus marinated in soy sauce and vinegar. Good, but chewy...

Ed. to add.......don't even come near me with haggis! ick!

Last edited by Berlin; September 25th, 2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: to ick on haggis!
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Vavoom is on a distinguished road

I can barely eat chicken, pork, and regular beef. I'm not much into calamari, octopus, or snails. I was tricked into eating lamb one time when I was young. I was so distraught that I refused to eat meat for months.

I was given a bowl of mondongo once, which is basically beef tripe. I managed to spit it in the bushes it was so disgusting. I mean who needs to eat animal intestines? And sorry, I'm turned off by sushi. I like fish but not raw and sometimes it looks weird.
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:48 AM

marwahad is on a distinguished road

hey got to knw the stuff i have never heard . i occassionaly eat chicken,fish(but thats not Weirdest Food) eat eggs of hen . basically vegetarian food .
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM

mum of three is on a distinguished road

Oh my I cold not eat anything like that I am a very fussy eater and hate going out to eat as there is nothing I like on the menu. I like plain food and I cant even eat a burger if it has been on a bbq as i hate the taste of food if it has been on one yuk
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Dodgerofinsults is on a distinguished road

Goat for me - in Greece it sometimes looks like a foot on your plate - so gross.
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM

sylvia is on a distinguished road

Yum at Manale's and Yum at escargot and Yum at buffalo meat - I'm not too crazy about rutabega but it can be doctored with garlic and progresso bread crumbs.