Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Closets.

How often do you clean out your closet/dresser? How often do you clean out your kid's closet/dresser? Do you donate the clothes, yard sale, pass them down or bag and trash?

(Brought on by the fact that I am in dire need of cleaning out my closet. I still have converse I wore in high school and jeans that I still wear from high school )
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Closets.

I clean stuff out/go thru it about once a year. I'd rather have the space to put stuff I use/wear. However, last year I got rid of clothes I though I'd never fit into again- this year I gave up fast food & lost the weight and now most of my clothes are too big - I can't win

DSD is in charge of her own closet, but DS-needs to clean his about 1x month.

DH & I got the garage cleaned out after X-mas & I've made progress on the basement. My goal is to get it cleaned & neat by next X-mas.
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:57 AM

1dilwhosreal will become famous soon enough

Wow, grubby, you can still wear the same jeans from highschool? Impressive!

Converse are retro-- keep them.

I clean out closets and drawers for the kids about twice a year, for new school clothes and for summer. If the clothes are in good condition, I donate them to a local charity that has a thrift shop. If they are not, I donate them to another charity that participates in the "rag trade." They resell them to dealers who either turn them into rags literally or (if they're wearable) send them to foreign countries.

The basement is another story. Know anyone who needs all the baby stuff- high chair, cradle, swing, portable crib, and so on?
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Closets?

Depends on the closet. DD cleans out her own closet about twice per year. DS's closet is like Fibber Mcgee's. So his never gets cleaned. DH and my closet is a walk-in that you can't walk in. I hate the hamper in our bathroom, so our closet floor is the hamper and general catch-all to anything we don't know where to put. And have I ever mentioned how much I love shoes?

My linen closet OTOH... gets cleaned/straightened out once per month.

DS is too hard on his clothes to pass them along. For things that are barely worn, I pass them on to people I know. DD is very easy on her clothes, so I pass those on to a friend's DD who is a couple of years younger. DH and I hang on to clothes for waaaaaaaay too many years, then make a trip to Goodwill.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM

Grace is on a distinguished road

Quite often. I'm hard on my clothes and have to make several trips a year to the charity shop. When I was younger I used to hate having more possessions that I could fit into a couple of suitcases - I had a theory that belongings weighed you down. Sooner or later I had to grow up, get furniture, stop planning on leaving every 5 minutes... But I regularly cull as I don't like to have too much stuff. DH is a hoarder though,he won't get rid of anything, he thinks a godawful leather jacket that looks like it's straight out of Chips is going to come back in fashion. He wouldn't wear it, but he won't throw it out. When we moved OS, we took 5 pairs of my shoes and a huge box of about 20 of his. No kidding. He doesn't wear them but I couldn't get him to part with them.

1dil - members have been known to be banished for saying they still fit their jeans from high school!!