Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old March 7th, 2017, 02:38 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Handing on treasures

My DM wants to take the stones from her wedding set and put them in a necklace for DD. She wanted my opinion. My opinion was DD is too young for such a valuable and sentimental gift. DM replied that she was getting older...

When is the appropriate time to hand these things on?
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:59 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Handing on treasures

IMO the appropriate time is when your DM is ready to and wants to; since the jewelry belongs to her she can decide what to do with it. I don't think there is a set age for your DD to receive it. The main issues are maturity and safe-keeping. You can tell your DD that it is hers, but she may not wear it except to very special occasions (family weddings, etc., where you can keep an eye on it). You can keep it for her in a safety deposit box if you feel the need.

I was given various pieces of jewelry in my early teens that was my M's or my SM's. I still have them all. My sisters lost theirs. It really depends on the kid.

Maybe your DM will be satisfied with just the first part of the equation - deciding on a necklace for the stones?
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:36 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I was given various pieces of jewelry in my early teens that was my M's or my SM's. I still have them all. My sisters lost theirs. It really depends on the kid.
That's what I'm afraid of! DD would be heartbroken to lose something that valuable, and so would my DM.

She certainly can get the necklace made. In the end, it's her gift and I really have no say.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:49 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably best to get that done and maybe even have your DM give it to you to hold for your DD. Valuable things have a way of disappearing from a house when there is illness. My OS arrived for visits monthly with an empty suitcase and left with a full one.
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:18 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

any update?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old August 22nd, 2017, 12:49 PM

I found out yesterday that DM had the necklace made and then gave it to someone else that she thought deserved it more.

I think it went to the right person.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 05:59 PM

How does DD feel about that?
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:07 PM

DD doesn't know about it.