Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 11th, 2017, 11:57 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb cleaning schedule ideas- Help!

I just can't stay motivated to clean.

I think I need to start with closets (one per day) and donated the stuff that we're not keeping at the end of each week.

anyone have suggestions on creating a cleaning schedule?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:19 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cleaning schedule ideas- Help!

Are you talking cleaning? Or decluttering?

I have been on a cleaning/decluttering journey since last February. I have no good advice. It seems like no matter how much I do, nothing gets accomplished.

We have been having work done to the house - new roof, new insulation, new windows, and are currently having our house painted. This has been causing me to go room by room (one step ahead of the workers) and clean out the attic, cabinets, closets, clutter. The problem with that is that while everyone is happy having less "stuff" in their rooms/closets/bathrooms/halls, no one is willing to go through the stuff and get rid of it.

The only thing that works for me (besides having to stay one step ahead of workers) is that I set my goals based on removal of stuff and not on one particular area. For example, I want my recycling bin completely full every time it gets picked up, so I spend time before pickup day sorting through and shredding papers from any room of the house. Or if I'm running an errand near the place where I donate old clothes, I make sure my trunk is full of old clothes (from any closet) before I leave. If DH is running to our storage unit for some reason, I make sure to have a few things set aside for him to bring.

I'm not sure it's a good tactic, but it's what helps me. I have to focus not on the task, but with the efficient removal of stuff.
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:47 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Are you talking cleaning? Or decluttering?

. It seems like no matter how much I do, nothing gets accomplished.

f.
Both... Decluttering first I guess...😶

I'm like you...it seems nothing gets done

..but I did get one closet done today. 😎

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:07 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Slow and steady wins the race!

I think I've shared before that I do deep cleaning and decluttering every fall. When it was just me, it took a day. Now I take a month, going room by room.

I start at the top of the house, furthest from the front door. I clean and declutter at the same time. Donation things go right out the door and are dropped off the next day.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:00 AM
is sometimes blunt.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Rent a dumpster.

Here's what I did... Get a box and put stuff in that you're not certain you really want to keep. Seal up the box, date it and put it somewhere until you forget what's inside. After a few months or years when you discover the box that you have no idea what is in it anymore... Set it out with the trash.

If you open it... You have to start all over.
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:14 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
Get a box
A box? Wow, my box would have to be 10'x30'. Oh wait, I have one of those. We call it "storage unit" down here.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:23 AM
is sometimes blunt.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Okay... Two boxes.

I have a friend who rents three storage units to keep all his stuff/junk in.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:33 AM

We currently have two, but it's because we're cleaning out one and putting what we're keeping in the other. This is a long process.