Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:58 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Gas Prices

Just heard on NPR gas prices dropped 11 cents a gallon and the national average is $3.60 a gallon. That's supposed to make us happy? Oil companies are making "record profits" and they are justifying the higher prices on "speculation."

It's irritating so say the least.
Old June 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gas Prices

Yay for Capitalism!
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

How much does gasoline cost in other countries? Any posters want to share?
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good place to see the comparison: http://www.see-search.com/business/f...iceseurope.htm

Notice that the USA has the cheapest by half! I never complain about gas prices. Yay for capitalism!
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I never complain about gas prices. Yay for capitalism!
Without a doubt, capitalism is good. However, what's the dividing line between profit and greed? Especially when it hurts those who are trying their best to make ends meet. There's no need for oil and gas to be as high as it is.
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM

The answer to that question depends on who you ask. In free market societies, agents are motivated by their own self interest. Some would call that greed.
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I filled the tank today @ $3.20 a gallon (before summer school). This station is the lowest I've seen & the price often goes up during school so I planned & got it early .

Today is the first time I've seen the price drop during school hours - it was $3.16 when I left

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM
is never to loud.

Sorry, but I don't share the same exuberance or satisfaction. There's no need for gas prices to be as high as they are. Unfortunately, it's not going to get better. Down to $3.29 a gallon where I live. Still ridiculous.
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Capitalism is based on speculation. The consumer always pays for that, whether it be gas or pharma.
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:28 AM
is never to loud.

The consumer pays for a lot more than speculation, but it fits really well for this topic. If the oil companies could, they'd gouge the prices up to $5 or $6 bucks a gallon right now. Why? Speculation of course. Never know when the straight of hormuz is going to be blocked.