Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > In-laws

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Shalom is on a distinguished road
Pressure to plan a family..

Hi..its been 1 and half year that we have been married...all the relatives and especially my SIL is after us to plan a baby now...

though I am not completely anti the idea.. but I am in a dilemma what to do ...I am weighing all the parameters.. our finances, my health, my age, family circumstances, who will take care of the baby post delivery etc...

What bothers me is my SIL who talks about it every time we meet...and she gets too privy at times..and goes with the flow suggesting me days & ways to conceive...she talks about it very openly...and I am not too comfortable with it..I want to give myself time with all this planning...and obviously do not want any intervention by an outsider..just me and my hubby thats it...

My MIL is disabled and old, obviously she will not be able to take care of the baby...I am a working lady..I have 2 loan repayments going on at the moment..so the mindset is not just there !

I keep thinking about it as a big responsibility which needs adequate planning and finances before we take the plunge...
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pressure to plan a family..

What you and your DH decide is no one else's business.

Tell your SIL that she really should keep her opinions to herself, nicely of course, and then change the subject.

Do not explain your reasoning to her. She'll see that as meaning you agree that she has the right to demand information.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Re: Pressure to plan a family..

"I'm sorry, but my uterus is no longer up for discussion. Thanks for the concern."

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!