Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:48 PM

MRenke1 is on a distinguished road
best way to tell my parents.

Hey everyone, I was needing some advice and also possibly some inside info.

I am nineteen and coming into my second year as a resp. therapist student. In the last two months of my study I started flunking a ton of tests and exams which has impacted my overall grade. This is from a recent borderline heroin addiction (if borderline is an acceptable term).

A couple months back I was at a party just chilling and talking with a couple guys. They pulled out a baggy of a tan powder and told me it's crushed up perc's and offered to do some lines with them. Shortly after I realized it wasn't percs since the drip was different, then the one dude told me it was dope.

So ever since then I do about two to three bags a night anywhere apart from each other about 2-7 nights, so it's not daily. I just can't go past 2 weeks, and recently it's been hard to go past 3-4 days.

I realize I need help before it gets any more progressively worse. My first option is just to find an addiction counselor and talk to her (or him) but that costs money. I am under my parents insurance until I turn 21, so do you think it'll completely cover counseling costs? Or will my parents get billed something? I rather do it discreetly without them knowing.

If it comes down to me having to tell them then I sorta need advice. -

When I was sixteen-seventeen I had a bad alcohol problem. Every time I got buzzed I would stop worrying about what's going on around me and just give me release. I couldn't go a couple days without it and if I did I'd be shaking and have cold chills during the school day. I told my parents and they freaked, like literally. After getting yelled at for two hours straight they pulled me out of school, took me to the psych ER, and told practically my whole church. This wasn't helpful and was pretty traumatizing at the same time. Either way after a month in rehab I had to spend three more months at my grand parents so my parents could "re-adjust". They then put me into a private school that my church runs.

So what way would be the best to calmly explain the situation to my parents, HOPEFULLY without them freaking out? I am kinda stuck here. Also does anyone know what the typical counseling session cost with cash and how many might be needed?

Sorry for such a long post and I'd appreciate any advice.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:25 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: best way to tell my parents.

Welcome, MRenke1. You are very brave to admit your problem. Since you have been in rehab before, you know that admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery!

I want to think more about your situation, so keep coming back. But off the top of my head, I can think of two things for you to think about.

First, find a nearby Narcotics Anonymous meeting. If there isn't an NA chapter nearby, go to Alcoholics Anonymous. Even if you aren't clean, the people there know what resources would be available to you. They have all been where you are and want to help you. Those meetings are free and they can help you tremendously.

Second, if you are a student, your school should have a department specifically intended to provide counseling for free (or close to free) for students. If they don't have addiction counseling, they will be able to help you find it. They will keep it confidential.

So please do that while you think of what to do next.

Is it possible for you to go to your grandparents for help? Would they help you approach your parents?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:25 PM

It's funny you mention that haha. I've always heard that saying on TV and stuff but never in person. The doctor and counselor went straight into my life history the first time I met them.

What are NA groups like? Like the way it's portrayed in movies and stuff? I rather not go to my school for help. I guess I am just paranoid being a health care provider student with drug issues would screw something up, you know?

My grandparents are on vacation out of country. There's a family friend that I first went to when I was sixteen. He took me under his wing and helped a lot, I just don't wanna go back with a whole new problem, ya know? I am also not really the one that likes placing her problems on someone else. It's not fair to them.

I really do appreciate the response

Last edited by MRenke1; March 22nd, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:45 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I hear you about not wanting to place your problems on someone else, but you're going to need to. Addiction is a tough enemy to beat and you will need someone to be there for you when you are struggling. Heroin withdrawals are not fun, plus you have the additional challenge of staying clean. It doesn't have to be your parents or your grandparents or your family friend. It can be a sponsor at NA or AA. Helping you stay clean might be what it takes for someone else to stay clean too.

Sorry, I can't describe the meetings. I've never been to one.

I have a friend who has a son whose heroin addiction landed him in prison. My friend is just grateful that he's alive. There have been close calls.

Keep thinking of ways to get help. Do you have friends who aren't users that you can hang out with instead?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:14 PM

After heroin withdrawal do people tend to crave it still, if so is it like a manageable crave or? I sometimes still crave alcohol so I drink one or two beers every month to settle it. Obviously can't do that with dope.

Prayers to your friends family. I suppose anything is better than death, but prison is still a pretty tough place.

I've thankfully disconnected myself from friends that are users. I don't need my image ruined by hanging with them. I like talking to strangers about private things better. Strangers don't know the same people as I do and won't turn on me. I find myself talking to my dog about stupid things like a crazy person now and then lol. BUT - NA might just do it. I want to try a seven day guide/schedule I just found recently online first.

Last edited by MRenke1; March 22nd, 2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM

Ah, the great thing about dogs is they listen and aren't judgmental at all!! I like that you're talking to your dog!

I don't know about heroin cravings after withdrawal, but I'm glad you're seriously thinking about going to NA. They can answer all of these questions for you from firsthand experience!

If you're going to try the seven day guide, do me a favor and come back here and let us know how it is going. I really hope it works for you.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM

Gotta love dogs!

I am going to start it this Monday. I'll make sure to give an update after the week has passed! Thank you for your advice
Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:02 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

In NZ people have Methadone treatment,the patient goes to their doctor, and the doctor derives a dosage plan that you have to go to the pharmacy every day and get in a little cup over the counter. Your plan is managed by your doctor. Later on you can get "carries" where you are allowed to take away your dose and take it.It isnt actually a cure but it makes it bearable, you take it instead of H. It apparently helps you through the withdrawal and weening off process and keeps you off illegal drugs. I see the people at my local pharmacy in the morning waiting for the pharmacist to give them their dose. Apparently it does work,but you have to be committed. It works by the dose very slowly being reduced as time goes on,whereby in the end you are off it. Maybe Google Methadone treatment and read about it, its very popular over here. Ask your doctor??.

Best of luck with your recovery, you are still very young, and you have made a good decision to get on top of it now....good on you for facing it.....you have a great chance at a better life later on....

Last edited by Catwoman; March 22nd, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:41 AM

We have methadone here in the U.S. as well. Sadly I've heard more horror stories about it than good. I'd rather try stopping without meds. Docs put me on antivans during alcohol rehab which stopped my anxiousness, restless leg, helped me sleep and all of that good stuff but was a pain to get off once I left.

I do appreciate your thoughts though
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:08 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRenke1 View Post
We have methadone here in the U.S. as well. Sadly I've heard more horror stories about it than good. I'd rather try stopping without meds. Docs put me on antivans during alcohol rehab which stopped my anxiousness, restless leg, helped me sleep and all of that good stuff but was a pain to get off once I left.

I do appreciate your thoughts though
Welcome, MRenke1. KayKay was right in advising you to seek professional help with heroin. If you have that physical addiction, it's best to go through withdrawl in a residential facility that can treat you for it. Methadone can help alleviate the effects of withdrawal without giving you the high, but it has its own side effects so being in a residential facility increases the likelihood of successful treatment.

Heroin has horrible, deadly consequences. You can get clean! You might be tempted after that, but if you keep "working the program," you can remain clean.

Check yourself in, let them bill the insurance, and have your treatment counselor help you to manage the relationship with your parents. Addiction affects the whole family; your parents need help in coping, too.

ETA: I am not a professional and you should definitely seek professional counseling. Because you've already dealt with alcohol addiction and still are challenged by cravings that you've tried to slack with drinking, it will be really important for you to stay in long-term care.

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; March 23rd, 2015 at 05:07 AM.