Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Parents

Old May 1st, 2014, 08:53 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how should I interact with my mom when she gets out of jail? What questions shoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
What do you think of the idea that it is hypocritical for her to tell me what to do now since she has been behind bars. I don't believe it but I wondered what people thought.

I guess I don't really understand why it would be hypocritical. When you say "tell you what to do" - what do you mean? Are you talking about normal mom things that involve raising kids and running a household, like "clean your room" or "do your homework?"

If your mom was telling you not to do something that she does (for example, if she were to continue to commit the crime she was jailed for and then told you not to do it) that would be hypocritical. I'm not sure why she'd be hypocritical for just doing mom things.
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:51 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how should I interact with my mom when she gets out of jail? What questions shoul

As has been stated: Treat her respectfully. She's your mom and she loves you. She's probably embarassed about the situation and time will pass where this will become nothing more than a memory.

Should you ask? Why not. You can start by asking your mom if it's okay to talk to her about it. I'm certain you'll be able to tell if she's getting uncomfortable or not. Maybe there will be something she won't want to talk about.

About teasing her about being in jail... Teasing is not encouraged. Maybe you should let your mom take the lead in that.

She messed up and she paid her debt. I can respect that.
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:01 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Look your mom telling you what to do is about following rules. Rules are everywhere in school, in society and in the family. Break the rules, there are consequences end of. Your mom found that out to her and your family's cost. It doesn't mean that rules or respect should go out of the window because your mom made a mistake.

She won't be a hypocrite for telling you what to do. Just be grateful that she is unlikely to issue as harsh consequences as one may get in prison if you fail to do as your told!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara

Last edited by Annsdil; May 1st, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 26th, 2014, 01:26 AM

1924 is on a distinguished road

Interestingly my mother admitted what she did to us and my dad and her agreed to go to the police station to turn herself in where she was arrested. Now she is in jail. I wonder why you would turn yourself in if you hadn't been caught
Old May 26th, 2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
Look your mom telling you what to do is about following rules. Rules are everywhere in school, in society and in the family. Break the rules, there are consequences end of. Your mom found that out to her and your family's cost. It doesn't mean that rules or respect should go out of the window because your mom made a mistake.

She won't be a hypocrite for telling you what to do. Just be grateful that she is unlikely to issue as harsh consequences as one may get in prison if you fail to do as your told!

I can't help but find it a little amusing she is going to get ordered around by others a bit. Not in a malicious way but just a amusing way
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:26 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the novelty of that will wear off soon. But if you keep bringing it up to your family it will start to wear thin with them even sooner! So for the sake of not presenting your self as a pain I would keep this little amusement to yourself!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:56 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
I wonder why you would turn yourself in if you hadn't been caught
Because you're a good person with a conscience.
Old July 16th, 2014, 01:50 AM

When I visit my mom I notice she was rather different. Of course she was dressed like an inmate and her hair wasn't as kempt but the main thing is She used to be very serious and kind of like a hard *** but talking to her in jail she seemed a little more mellowed out. Almost more like a friend than my mom. I found that interesting
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:25 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

"Interesting." That sounds like you are observing but not judging. That will go a long way to help your mom adjust to being home.
Old November 30th, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
"Interesting." That sounds like you are observing but not judging. That will go a long way to help your mom adjust to being home.
In what way?