Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old September 17th, 2015, 11:43 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Worst present you have ever recieved?.....:(

I will go first. Well it was my 30th birthday a few years ago and my husband gave me a copy of "The Guinness Book of World Records".....what the??

I was so sad, mad and angry, and disappointed but I realised when he said he saw me pick it up at the mall one day and thought I would really like it lol.

A friend told me she recieved from her husband a garden hose and a book about Muhummad Ali (boxer), one year.....lol.

Whats the worst present you have ever recieved, come on do tell!!
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:02 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Worst present you have ever recieved?.....:(

It was possibly the granny nightgown my MIL gave me to nurse in. (1) it wasn't a nursing nightgown, (2) I was no longer nursing and (3) it was President's Day (hardly a gift-giving occasion in the US). That was baffling and the first gift I didn't write a thank you note for. MY MIL, though well-intentioned, has a long history of really poor gifts.

Then there was the worst gift for my son - from my sister. For his first birthday, she got him an alarm clock. Oh, and it was broken.
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:02 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

For my bridal shower, I received a copy of The Joy of Sex. From my MIL.
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:41 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

A red light bulb from xh for our anniversary. Should have know then!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:49 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Does no present at all count? My 52nd birthday was completely forgotten. My wife and DD's had gone to Lake of the Ozarks for the weekend - I was working. Got a call that evening and not even a happy birthday. It wasn't until a week after they came back that my wife remembered. Personally, I thought it was kind of funny. At 52 I didn't really care. I remember I went to a local restaurant and had some BBQ ribs.

Present wise... I got a CD of Willie Nelson. Yuk! It's still in the plastic wrapper.

Worst present I ever got my wife... A battery powered screwdriver. She looked at it dumbfounded and put it back in the case. Well... At least it was pink.

Worst present I ever got my DD. A key finder - you whistle and it whistles back. I never realized that she can't whistle.

My other DD... A gift card to Harbor Freight Tools.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:37 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

Well, not a single present but an occasion:

When I was, I dunno, 9 or 10 or so, and had outgrown the "pink" stage and was into purple and thought pink was totally horrible and for babies. My mom suggested sweaters and clothes to my my grandmothers as Christmas presents, and said "any color but pink." This was my first lesson in the fact that people do NOT hear negatives. It is much better to say "blue and purple are good" instead of "not pink." It is better to tell little kids to "walk!" than to say "don't run!" and so on.

Well, I am sure you see where this is going. The only word they heard was "pink." Christmas morning, in front of my eager grandmothers I opened up packages and was awash in a sea of pink, with me trying (probably not very well) to look grateful and my little brother trying (very ineffectively indeed) not to laugh.
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahahahaha......I love the presents..hehehe......one other we got from a friend and her husband about 6 yrs ago. Anyway my then friend and her husband came over to celebrate my son's 11th bday, I had put on a lovely bbq for a few people I had invited, including a full dinner and dessert menu, I had worked very hard all day to make a lovely spread for everyone. Their present was a 3rd hand TV the ones that came out with the video at the bottom, all in one,it was about a 14". My friends husband said he had acquired it from his friend, but they didn't need it, and thought they would give it to our son for his bday. I have no probs with second hand items but..........

After the party, we turned it on and realised the TV didn't go, only the video part went, they said they were giving it to our son because it would be perfect for him. I was so mad and insulted that her miser dutch husband, who had always been a bit of an odd ball, was in fact passing off his inorganic rubbish collection item onto us. We were dumb founded. Maybe they never turned it on, I don't know?, surely you would wouldn't you?, especially if you were giving it to someone else??!!. I suspected he did know it only half worked, but who has videos now anyway??.They talked as if they were doing us a big favour giving my son such a big present, and that it was very special.

We never told them or said anything about the TV, but slowly that friendship fell away due to us growing apart and me being annoyed at being dragged into their marital dramas, and one day her husband approached me online calling me a great friend, I just couldn't stand him any longer and blew up at him lol, he's such a creep,so I got to tell him what a jerk I always thought he was, for cheating on my friend, and what a joke and poor excuse for a human being lol. I told him he was a nobody, thinking he was someone, an arrogant dork. I said I couldn't stand him to be honest. I told him they weren't welcome at my home any more, and to keep their dramas to themselves. My friend had been very upset and caught him cheating 2 times on her.He was a really strange guy, quite geeky, but someone who thought he really was someone,and quite arrogant. He was always rude and made us feel uncomfortable at their home. Funny we haven't heard from them since last year when I told him lol. Not that Im worried in the least.

It was the perfect excuse to get rid of them to be honest. She used to ring me up moaning about him, to which I had to go and get her and be wasting my weekend hearing her sob stories, only listening to her own voice. Then I never heard from her for months at a time, because she was back with him. I got sick of hearing their crap to be honest, wasting my precious family time that she frequently interrupted. Then they would come over and he was a rude weirdo, so I used it as an excuse to give them the boot.

Last edited by Catwoman; September 18th, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:48 AM

housekat will become famous soon enough

I got a really ugly little nick nacky thingy...some ugly little girl with a flower bucket...from my xh one year. I guess I should have been surprised he got me anything on his own. His usual method of gift giving was to take me to the store and have me shop for my own gifts. I eventually just started buying myself things and wrapping them up for Christmas from him to me because shopping with him was a pain.
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:43 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I had what I referred to as the X-mas from he11

I put a lot of thought into my X-mas list - then added a post script "some kitchen stuff might be nice"

That's all I got ... kitchen stuff

turns out no one talked to each other

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:59 PM

memyselfandi will become famous soon enough

I have to say that the two worst gifts I have ever gotten were from my sweet hubby who is horrid at buying gifts anyway. One year he went up North with the kids and brought me this horribly ugly clown picture that he'd gotten at a thrift sale for a quarter. It is now a standing joke in our household that someone gets that gift every year at our White Elephant gift exchange!!

The second one was a pair of toe socks. Why he would get me toe socks is beyond me; and why he would even look at toe socks is another one; must have been another one of his dry humor jokes..lol!! He told me he thought I might need something to keep my pigs warm; but how one even gets those things on is beyond me...HA!!