Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Re: How's the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Where do you live, so I know where NOT to move. Way tooo cold for me.
In Montana near Yellowstone, elevation 5,714 ft above sea level.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of

ARRGHHH!! I can't take anymore of this weather!!!

Before you northerners sneer at me, let me tell you I am a Yankee girl by birth. In the 40s and windy and rainy wouldn't bother me so much except for the confounding factor: children. Rug rats. Ankle biters. (Ouch!)

Today was my work day at our co-op preschool. Twenty four year olds, who have been cooped up for days on account of the rain (and what passes for cold, here). It was unbelievable. The kids are getting wired, cranky, testy, fidgety, out of control. No relief in sight, supposed to be this way for a few days more at least. I'm about to snap. Here in California, houses are small. There are no basements to order children to go to.

What I have is "rainy with a 100 percent chance of preschoolers with cabin fever."

OK. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisHeathenHoney View Post

What I have is "rainy with a 100 percent chance of preschoolers with cabin fever."

And I thought indoors with 3 was too much. My sympathys HHH.

Its icy here but there is a beautiful moon tonight. Cold and clear until the weekend when we'll be back to freezing rain, or so I hear, the weatherman can have it all wrong sometimes.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisHeathenHoney View Post

Before you northerners sneer at me, let me tell you I am a Yankee girl by birth. In the 40s and windy and rainy wouldn't bother me so much except for the confounding factor: children. Rug rats. Ankle biters. (Ouch!)

Today was my work day at our co-op preschool. Twenty four year olds, who have been cooped up for days on account of the rain (and what passes for cold, here). It was unbelievable. The kids are getting wired, cranky, testy, fidgety, out of control. No relief in sight, supposed to be this way for a few days more at least. I'm about to snap. Here in California, houses are small. There are no basements to order children to go to.

Oh it can rain here, too. Always in the weekends! I remember getting cabin fever with preeschoolers. (Why does the bad weather happen when you have extra kids????)

Dire Straights etc. - LOUD - and everyone dances till YOU feel better! Friends' remedy - lock yourself into the bathroom with a glass of wine and a nice warm bath.

Any combination of the above

Old January 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Started a slow drizzle a couple of hours ago... now temperatures heading down... At 36 now, but supposed to go down to freezing by early morning...

*FINGERS CROSSED* ... snow day, snow day, snow day..... (We get "snow days" when the roads are iced over. No such things as tires with chain or sand crews where I live. )

(Maybe not as bad as preschoolers with cabin fever, but it gets tiring to be running all over town delivering kids places. A day in my pajamas by the fireplace sounds pretty ideal right about now)

ETA: It never got below freezing last night. *scowl* So not only did the kids have to get driven to school, it was drizzly and 36 when it had to happen. Boo! Hiss!

Last edited by KayKay; January 25th, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: update
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Becca is on a distinguished road

My DH wanted to add to the conversation.

DH--What happened to global warming?
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Rowan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
That's just silly. We have trucks coming in and out of town all the time. Diesels run differently than standard cars and really don't do all that well during the cold months, so the idle time is necessary. Not to mention, if I understand correctly, diesels can idle forever and use very little fuel.
We have a 2500HD diesel pickup and they do infact run much colder and use very little fuel while idling, which is good cause we have to put a cover over the grill all winter long and plug in the block heater to get it started, then it has to run for about 20 mins before it even starts to get warm.