Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
poor conversational skills

(mods - move this if needed)

I've recently realized that my conversational skills have atrophied

I frequently catch myself, in an attempt to "connect" with a conversation, talking about my experiences. hmpff - I am frustrated with myself

any ideas on how to practice active listening skills?
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: poor conversational skills

Bite your lips together and sit on your hands!

ATM I am all consumed with my experiences - only with good close friends and i have to work hard to take a step back and listen to their experiences. That's partly why I want to teain in counselling skills, to help me listen more!
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:08 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I also do that. I've gone from a good listener to a talker. I do it mostly around new people; it's a coping mechanism because I'm so shy. Being conscious of that goes a long way. When you catch yourself relating your experience, you can say, "Oh, sorry! Tell me more about your experience."
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I can only offer sympathy, not advise as well.
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:29 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to ask people more about what they are saying - I did well today.
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Freek is on a distinguished road

If you have really poor conversational skills, you need to build up some confidence in your personalities. After that need to some tricks and tacts about how to interact with others in a better and effective way. Some communication lessons could also help your way.
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:31 PM

divorcelawyers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
(mods - move this if needed)

I've recently realized that my conversational skills have atrophied

I frequently catch myself, in an attempt to "connect" with a conversation, talking about my experiences. hmpff - I am frustrated with myself

any ideas on how to practice active listening skills?
How to Practice Active Listening
Really listening to others can be a wonderful and vital skill to help foster your friendships or any relationship. Active listening can help you to better understand those in your life and improve the quality of your relationships. You can learn to practice active listening with the following few steps.
1.Consciously schedule or set aside time when you next have a conversation with someone so you will not be rushed or hurried. Be realistic about how long you need and avoid scheduling anything to close to your time with that person.
2.Review what you know about this person and what they are talking about in your head silently while they are speaking. Keep a mental list of things you want to talk about or inquire about when they finish speaking.
3.Ensure that you are in a quiet and comfortable area during your conversation. Make sure the person you are talking to is comfortable, and be receptive to the person.
4.Continue to focus on what the other person is saying. Give non-verbal cues for understanding like nodding or, if you don't understand, frowning to help them know if you are understanding what they are saying.
5.Respond to questions if you are elicited to do so. Find a natural pause in their speech to interject and ask them if they were finished before you interrupt.
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by divorcelawyers View Post
2.Review what you know about this person and what they are talking about in your head silently while they are speaking. Keep a mental list of things you want to talk about or inquire about when they finish speaking.
5.Respond to questions if you are elicited to do so. Find a natural pause in their speech to interject and ask them if they were finished before you interrupt.
Bad advice!

Active listening means listening, not thinking about what you are going to say next! And it certainly doesn't mean trying to find a place to interrupt! What a way to "drum up" business!
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:38 PM

BagLady will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Bad advice!

Active listening means listening, not thinking about what you are going to say next! And it certainly doesn't mean trying to find a place to interrupt! What a way to "drum up" business!
Lucy, Why are you being so negative and judgmental? Why don't you give someone a chance before going for the throat, and alienating them?
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:43 AM
future crazy cat lady

baglady .... someone who choses a name like "divorcelawyers" comes across as a "spammer" (names like "travelcheap" does too)