Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > General Health

General Health Discuss issues related to General Health

Closed Thread

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM

Mrs X has a brilliant futureMrs X has a brilliant futureMrs X has a brilliant future
Re: Cholesterol and sugar?

*Geek Alert*

"Sucrose" is just the chemical name of standard white refined sugar. "Fructose" is the name of the type of sugar mainly from fruit.

Sucrose is a fructose and a glucose joined together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM

KayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant future

whoosh

That was the sound of that wikipedia article going right over my head.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Mrs X has a brilliant futureMrs X has a brilliant futureMrs X has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
whoosh

That was the sound of that wikipedia article going right over my head.
I just looked at the pictures, and the first paragraph.
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM

KayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant futureKayKay has a brilliant future

Oh, me too. Chemistry was never my forte. I looked at the pictures and thought the red/black/white one looked like two molecules doing the jitterbug.
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that chemistry was interesting but I never went beyond the basics. I'm amazed at how much insight it gives into how the body works, which I do find fascinating.

One of the things I've learned in the last few weeks is that the body uses cholesterol to produce Vit D. Newer research suggests that there is a relationship low Vit D and high cholesterol and some doctors are trying to treat high cholesterol with Vit D.

Wouldn't that be excellent?
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post

One of the things I've learned in the last few weeks is that the body uses cholesterol to produce Vit D. Newer research suggests that there is a relationship low Vit D and high cholesterol and some doctors are trying to treat high cholesterol with Vit D.

Wouldn't that be excellent?
Spend more time in the sun, and watch that fat just melt away???

Seriously though Lucy, do you have a link? - That is fascinating.
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:04 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that the majority of the article is too scientific for my dime-store-novel-brain, but the discussion was fairly easy to read.

www.jlr.org/content/30/3/379.full.pdf
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:05 AM

justhamade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Time to 'fess up. I was told that I had high cholesterol and the doctor advised me to avoid the usual suspects and come back in 3 months. Recheck time and my cholesterol went up!

I asked the doctor why. Her response was less than helpful "Stop eating fried foods, avoid baked goods and red meat, and give up my egg a day habit." I know she thinks I'm lying, but everyone who knows me would attest to the fact that I don't eat fried foods, baked goods, red meat, or eggs, or any other dairy. I actually have a healthy diet--fat wise, at least.

I think that's where the problem is.

Since the doctor wasn't helpful, I'm doing my own digging and I'm learning that the newest research shows a connection between sugar consumption and high cholesterol. My soda may be contributing to my high cholesterol!

Has anyone else heard about this?
(And now I'm wondering if I can trade a can of Coke for a slice of bread and butter? )
I have done a ton of research on this but can not yet post links.

You need to look up the lipid hypothesis. It is 2 fold ... 1st fat does not cause you to get fat and dietary cholesterol does not cause serum cholesterol to increase.

2nd cholesterol levels are NOT a marker for cardio vascular health. 75% of people that have heart attacks have normal cholesterol and low cholesterol is strongly linked to shorter life span.

Read Chris Masterjohn's stuff, just google for "The Daily Lipid"
There are also good books out there search for "the cholesterol con"

I wrote a blog post about this but can not post links yet
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:49 PM

Welcome, justhamade.

The reason we do not allow new posters to post links is because we find that many people join the forum just to post links to their blogs or to advertise. Advertising is against our forum rules, which are here: http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com...aq_forum_rules if you are interested in reading them.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM

JemStar is a name known to allJemStar is a name known to all

Sugar - BAD. Cholesterol? Not so much.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/974079/posts --

"These arguments are weak, however. If LDL-cholesterol were the devil himself LDL-cholesterol would clearly be a better predictor than total cholesterol, because the latter include also the ”good” HDL-cholesterol. And experiments on animals can only be suggestive and cannot prove anything about human diseases.

Besides, the vascular findings in laboratory animals do not look like human atherosclerosis at all, and it is impossible to induce a heart attack in animals by diet alone (23). And finally, findings pertaining to people with a rare genetic error in cholesterol metabolism are not necessarily valid for the rest of us (24).

Thus, the experimentors claim support from unsupportive epidemiological and clinical studies, and the epidemiologists and the clinicians claim support from inconclusive experimental evidence. The victims of this miscarriage of justice are an innocent and useful molecular construction in our blood, producers and manufacturers of animal fat all over the world, and millions of healthy people who are frightened and badgered into eating a tedious and flavorless diet that is said to lower their bad cholesterol." Good comments at bottom of page, too. "

It's not just LDL but the ratio between good and total cholesterol, and here's something to get you there:

http://http://www.hughchou.org/calc/chol.php

Why taking statins might be pointless - and even bad for you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...--bad-you.html

The Cholesterol Hoax:
lQuotes
Myth 6 is dedicated to disproving the myth that high cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease. If low cholesterol levels prevent heart disease, then victims of heart attacks should have high cholesterol. This is not so. Over half of all heart attack victims (those who suffer from heart disease) have low cholesterol. This logic is too simple. Highly educated folks totally miss this one. Therefore, the entire chapter reveals evidence, which disproves this myth. It also highlights how to avoid early death from heart disease using scientifically proven, natural approaches.
To further implement an attack on the cholesterol myth, I dedicated a separate chapter to stress the importance of cholesterol. This is chapter 7. According to studies over the last hundred years, the higher our cholesterol, the longer we live. This might be a revelation for most. As such, it will be hard to comprehend. Yet, science has consistently shown this to be true

more info here:
http://www.whale.to/a/cholesterol.html

Inflammation, NOT cholesterol -- http://www.naturalnews.com/035295_lo...cal_myths.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/035295_lo...cal_myths.html

"BAD" cholesterol percentages LOWERED to usher in MIRACLE DRUG: Commercially, lovastatin is known as Mevacor. It was the first statin drug, released in 1987 by the U.S. government-influenced company named Merck.
The origin of statin drugs is not a testament to the ingenuity and innovation of drug companies. Despite enjoying an unprecedented surge of momentum in popularity, statins are nothing more than an isolated poison derived from the fungus known as red yeast rice (Monascus purpurus).[1] Shane Ellison -- The Hidden Origin of Statin Drugs

This feature on statins and their adverse reactions was published in Dutch on January the 10th 2004, in AD Magazine, the weekend magazine of the newspaper Algemeen Dagblad. The article led to furious attacks on the author.
http://www.thincs.org/melchior1.htm

Be sure to take CoQ10 with those Statins, PLEASE !!!

"Is there now any doubt as to why cognitive problems are the most frequent problems cited by statin victims? Did we get a black box warning for physicians about the likelihood of cognitive side effects? No black box and not a word. Management had decided to simply ignore this message of warning from the research community. In their colossal cynicism they knew most physicians don't read the journals and believe only what their PDR and drug reps tell them."

http://www.spacedoc.com/anti_inflammatory_statins.html

INFLAMMATION - Caused by SUGAR and GRAINS! Yes. Sugar AND Grains...
"...Most polyunsaturated vegetable oils like safflower, sunflower, corn, peanut and soy, are high in linoleic acid, an omega-6 essential fatty acid that the body converts into arachidonic acid, another omega-6 fatty acid that has a predominantly pro-inflammatory influence..." Read: Are you walking around on simmer?
http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/causes.aspx

They LOWERED the number of allowed cholesterol to sell statins???
"...Before 2004, a 130-milligram LDL cholesterol level was considered healthy. The updated guidelines, however, recommended levels of less than 100, or even less than 70 for patients at very high risk. .."

"...
Eight of the nine doctors on the panel that developed the new cholesterol guidelines had been making money from the drug companies that manufacture statin cholesterol-lowering drugs.[ix]..."
The above information was taken from the site posted below:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...l-numbers.aspx

For some, taking pills and throwing the health responsibility at the doctor is a whole lot easier than making LIFE changes: Diet, exercise, supplements, research. Your body needs fat/cholesterol. It's inflammation from BAD DIETS and sitting around that it DOESN'T need. Eggs are FINE. Coconut and olive oil are FINE. Limit grains: wheat/rice/rye. Use quiona. Amaranth. Tapioca. Instead. NO MORE SUGAR. Use stevia in everything. Organic stevia is the best. Occasionally honey or xylitol is allowed. REMOVE CORN FROM YOUR LIFE and you will be glad for it. Corn is fed to livestock...you wonder why? No amount of CORN is EVER good for you. Soy is fine as long as it is FERMENTED. FERMENTED is GREAT. Lots of probiotics. Kefir, Kraut, are great foods to eat.

Get out there and MOVE. Swim. Bike. WALK REALLY FAST. Something!!

(While you're at it, remove as many "moldy" foods as possible: corn, peanuts, soy, rice, etc and replace with healthier versions). Trust me. Many molds that we have in our foods, our water, our air OUR MEDICINES LIKE STATINS ARE KNOWN CARCINOGENS. Eliminate them. You don't need them.
Closed Thread