View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 07:08 PM

aboundingjoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Close friendship threatened by difference of opinions

I think it's a sign of maturing friendship when you begin to see differences in opinions and values. It's not a bad thing, it's just a matter of learning to overcome those differences. You have to choose your battles carefully and I think you will agree that a lot times, those differences are not worth losing a valuable friend over.
You can't change your friend's opinion that friends can't have different opinions. I think you just have to show her though your understanding and patience that you can have different opinions and still be friends. Don't worry about losing her in the future. Just be yourself and enjoy her friendship today. Don't dwell on your differences, but find the many things you share in common. An argument doesn't have to mean the end of your relationship. It doesn't mean you have to give up being yourself. It can be an opportunity for both of you to see things from a different perspective, to forgive, to be patient and loving. If she chooses to end the friendship, it will be her loss, but I would encourage you to hang in there! Who knows? Through you, she may learn that two people can have different opinions yet be very good friends!